size of TSW files

Integrated solution for design, manufacturing and management that provides all standard parts and procedures for wood processing.

Moderators: remi77, jacs, Daniel

OMG
Master Chief
Master Chief
Answers: 3
TopSolid Module: TopSolid'Wood
TopSolid Version: 6.20

size of TSW files

Unread post by OMG »

Hello

I want to ask if you are dealing with big files generated by TSW.
I don't have such complex assemblies but my files are growing up to 25-30 MB.
Personally, I don't consider 30 MB to be such a big size for a computer file but compared to other simple TSW files which has a few KB, it is a big file.

Despite of my pretty powerful computer (HP Z 820 workstation, 2 x Intel Xeon 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K5000 4096 MB with all drivers installed in Win 10 Pro 64 bit), the software is very slow with this kind of files (the TSW graphics settings are in "advanced mode" and the Task manager performance graphs of CPU / Memory / GPU do not grow over 40-50% utilization of respective components)

The pan / zoom / rotate actions results in non-smooth movements of the geometry on the screen even in "shading mode". In "realistic rendering" things happens even worse.
When I zoom in and I don't have a lot of details on the screen, the movement becomes smoother.
With this kind of files the "save" command takes a long time to finish.

Before TSW I worked in CATIA on the same computer, with the same or even more complex type of assemblies but without any graphical problems.

What can lead to such big files in this software?
How must I design to avoid such problems - I only have a few months experience in TSW.

If you want I can upload somewhere one or two of this files.

Thank you!
Last edited by OMG on Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Todd
First Officer Cadet
First Officer Cadet
TopSolid Version: 6.24

Re: size of TSW files

Unread post by Todd »

I have experienced graphics issues when I have windows display scale and layout set to anything higher than 100%. I think this is a bug and reported it but till its fixed 100% is it. also ask your reseller for the performance guide pdf for configure everything I have it but eh file size limits wont allow me to post it here.
Attachments
windows scale layout.png
Todd Craig
Great Lakes Woodworking
tcraig@glwdetroit.com
OMG
Master Chief
Master Chief

Unread post by OMG »

Hello Todd

I already spoke with my re-seller several times about this issue but he couldn't give me a solution so I don't think he own this pdf guide

We've had some discussions about the possibility that the graphical problems are caused by the level of details of my wood connectors (downloaded from Hafele) which was to high in his opinion but I've defined simplified representation for few of them and re-draw others with simple geometrical shapes without any improvement in performance

Can you please send me that pdf guide by e-mail or by other file transfer service (wetransfer)? My e-mail is mitica.grigore at gmail.com

Thank you
RaudMees
Second Officer Cadet
Second Officer Cadet

Unread post by RaudMees »

Hi there

I had same problem years ago. Todd, please send it to me too. Like over wetransfer tehnik2tehnik.ee.
About this problem. It's not easy way, but at the end it works fine.
I had some components from Häfele, Hettich, Blum etc. When I saved them into .top file, then file size was 500-5000KB. Like Tandembox 3MB and when I added 3 drawers into product, then file was ~7MB. With hinges, screws, drawers, legs etc one simple wardrobe was 30+MB and handling 3D model was way slow. PC had highest power on the market (3000+€). So what I did - I simplified ALL hardware components below 100KB each. Except baskets, they were 200-400KB. Plenty of small things like screws, screwcaps, shelf supports etc I added just as text into assembly to have them in BOM. It's hard, very hard job, but result is worth of that. I got my "regular" wardrobe below 10MB and 3D model is running very fast. If You have hundreds of panels over 20MB, then file is good. But when You have 20 panels and 10 "regular" hinges directly from Hettich, then it's slow. My PC is i7-4790K, 32GB RAM and I had Nvidia 9800GT (yes, 12y old card) and some 200MB files running normally, but others not, depends geometry inside of them. Now I have better graphic card and dft files are faster (usually I have 40+ A3 sheets in one file).

WBR
RM
Todd
First Officer Cadet
First Officer Cadet
TopSolid Version: 6.24

Unread post by Todd »

Also I myself would modify the models downloaded from supplier websites with the attached image functions to simplify them and shrink there file size. example: logo font engraved on hardware is no value to me so I would use remove faces and cap and cut the file size down by 15-20%
Attachments
SIMPLE 2.png
SIMPLE 1.png
Todd Craig
Great Lakes Woodworking
tcraig@glwdetroit.com
OMG
Master Chief
Master Chief

Unread post by OMG »

Thank you all for your advice and support

I already shared the "performance" pdf file with my co-workers.