Instantiation of TopSolid.Application(Start of TopSolid) throws COM-Exception 80080005

All topics about specific development with COM interface, LIP language, API in VB, ...

Moderators: remi77, jacs, Daniel

GSus42
Private First Class
Private First Class
TopSolid Version: 6.26

Instantiation of TopSolid.Application(Start of TopSolid) throws COM-Exception 80080005

Unread post by GSus42 »

Hello,

I am trying to implement a Test-Interface between TopSolid and our PDM-Solution.
I use TopSolid 7.10 and VisualStudio 2012 with VB.NET. (I chose .NET-Framework 3.5 since I read somewhere that this is the recommended Version for accessing the TopSolid-API. But don't know where anymore.)

I followed the API-Description, added the Reference to the TopSolid 6.16 Type Library in my VisualStudio 2012 Project.
The API seems to work. VISTUDIO knows the TopSolid.xxx-Classes.

I started with implementing (nearly just copying ;P) the code from the "Examples\How to start"-Section of the API-Documentation.
First time, it just works. It was so easy. My program started TopSolid, opened a new Document, painted the circle, put the surface on it and gave you the Save-As-Dialogue. I was very happy. :)
I try it the next day and all I get since then is the COM-Exception 80080005 for the line
TopApp = New TopSolid.Application

Error reads something like(have to translate, have it in German):
System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80080005): The COM-Classfactory for the component with CLSID ... couldn't be called because of the following error: 80080005.
at ... line 91
(the line is "TopApp = New TopSolid.Application" as I wrote above)

Most posts and solutions about this error in general seem to be connected to the DCOM-Permissions. But when I use "DCOMCNFG identity" the TopSolid-COM-Object already stands on the recommended "interactive User".

I tried restarting TopSolid manually and do it again, but all that does is sometimes delete my reference to the TopSolid-API so the TopSolid.XXX-Classes are unknown to VISTUDIO again.

Any advice?
Any info I can further give?
Last edited by GSus42 on Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gmanucci
Master Corporal
Master Corporal
TopSolid Module: TopSolid'Cam

Re: Instantiation of TopSolid.Application(Start of TopSolid) throws COM-Exception 80080005

Unread post by gmanucci »

Hi!

Sorry, but i don't understand wich version are you using, 7.10 or 6.16?

By the code, i guess you're using TS V6, right?

If its TS V7, you have to reference TopSolid.Kernel.Automating.dll :B
GSus42
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Instantiation of TopSolid.Application(Start of TopSolid) throws COM-Exception 80080005

Unread post by GSus42 »

Hi,

you are right, that seems odd. I supposed I have 7.10 installed.
Didn't install it. Admin-Staff did that.
On my Desktop shows a shortcut to TopSolid 7.10.
But in VisualStudio 2012 (do I maybe need VisualSpydio2015?) it only shows "TopSolid 6.16 Type Library" and "TopSolid'Viewer OLE Control module" (1.0).
Can't find your mentioned "TopSolid.Kernel.Automating.dll" anywhere.

Thanks for trying to help.

Update: Found the DLL you mentioned. Will test it with that.
GSus42
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by GSus42 »

The TopSolid.Kernel.Automating.dll is in my 7.10-Bin-Folder
But if I use it instead of the TypeLibrary of 6.16 VISTUDIO doesn't know the classes TopSolid.Application, TopSolid.DocumentDesign or any other TopSolid-Class of the API any more.

And another thing: if the 6.16 Type Library isn't the correct one. How can it be, that the first time the VB.NET-program worked, started TopSolid, opened the new document, drew the circle, filled it and gave me the save-Dialogue, if that is the wrong library?
Either something got changed, (Since I didn't change anything over the weekend, either it is something our Domain-Administrators changed, or something else I don't have an idea about) or:
starting TopSolid with the API is non-deterministic
and by that I mean, "It doesnt work, except for the first time"?!

How the fudge can that be.

And another thing: how can it be, that VISTUDIO knows about the 6.16 Type Lib from scratch, but the supposedly actual 7.10-DLL has to be manually searched and added?

Sorry about getting angry. But as you can imagine, this can be very frustrating.
GSus42
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by GSus42 »

Ok, it seems the 6.16 Type Library was the remnant of an old installation on our CAD-Machine.

Also, it seems the whole Syntax changed from 6.16 to 7.10.
And it seems API-Documentation for 7.x is only available if we buy a maintenance contract?!
I don't find anything similar to the TopSolidAPI.chm we had for 6.x in the Help\en- or Help\de-folders
And D@avid's Post to get the Help-Document for the 6.x-Version (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=86) has no corresponding post for 7.x

So it seems I can only advice our management next week to either get a maintenance contract with TopSolid and buy a cat in a box(pig in a poke?!) or just ignore it and let all German Automotive companies just use the products of your competitors?

Seems harsh, we had good experience with the usability of 6.x and I briefly had good experiences with the 6.x API.
gmanucci
Master Corporal
Master Corporal

Hey!

sry for replying late, so u are using TS V7, right?

in TS7 we have the help on the folloing path:

it helped me so much.
GSus42
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by GSus42 »

Thank you so much.

Now I feel pretty stupid.
Maybe Missler can turn around the horrible picture I got the last few days after all.
gmanucci
Master Corporal
Master Corporal

lol, don't feel like that, we are here to help each other