Mold enhancement request

Proposals and Suggestions for new features in TopSolid.

Moderators: remi77, jacs, Daniel

Top'Noob
First Officer Cadet
First Officer Cadet

Mold enhancement request

Unread post by Top'Noob »

Hello,

While working on my latest Mold project, I had to import a parasolid mold base which included many components that will be installed by the moldbase vendor.

I imported the mold base (a MUD unit) and also created a "non-standard" mold base in TopSolid Mold. Next I trimmed away most of the mold base leaving only a tiny piece of each TS mold plate. Finally I united (SHAPE>>UNITE) the imported mold plates with the corresponding segment of the TS mold plate.

The end result was a mold base which correctly showed all of the manufacturer installed components AND was a fully functioning TS mold base which worked properly with KO pins and any other TS components I added. This worked fairly well but got a little complicated especially toward the end of the design where I was wishing I could make some plate thickness changes but there were SOOO many invalid items I couldn't figure it out. I ended up making it work pretty good in the end but it could have been easier (especially for a NOOB).

Finally, the feature I am requesting...

It would be extremely awesome to have another choice during mold base creation instead of standard / non-standard. This new option would allow us to import a parasolid moldbase and then a wizard would appear which we would use to assign properties to each imported plate like Top Clamp Plate, Cavity Plate, Core Plate, etc. Maybe even go as far as being able to define components such as leader pin, bushing, etc. and have it all function including kinematics just like a TS mold base.

Any thoughts :?:
protopart
Private
Private

POSSIBLE SOLUTION- Mold enhancement request

Unread post by protopart »

I agree

we use MUD units 85% of the time and each time we design a mold using one we go thru the redundant steps of adding the ears, modifying the ejector housing height, adding a sprue puller, bla bla bla

Bill (Genc) did walk me thru a method of 1. create the exact model of a mud insert you use including every possible detail - define bushings, leader pins, ko plate sizes and locations; plate thicknesses; then 2. save this as an 08/09 mud unit for example for future use now and forever; 3. create your particular plastic part core/cavity split and a/b blocks in an independent mold document then 4. somehow duplicate them from that document into an open model you created in step 1 (rename the open model something different).
However
I witnessed bill do this but could not reproduce the result myself - specifically the duplicating from one document into another - i am getting there but so much to absorb...
:roll:
if anyone has the steps...please share
RICHARD LALONDE
Sergeant
Sergeant

Added document

Unread post by RICHARD LALONDE »

Bill did a so much greath job with the MOLD MANUEL he wrote, we could suggest to him to made an added section for MUD FRAME. The manual he wrote could be improve with new section when it's a must.