Moderators: remi77, jacs, Daniel, Bill, Romain

michelle
Sergeant
Sergeant
TopSolid Version: 6.26

Sharing a Vault amongst several co-located PCs

Unread post by michelle »

Hello,

In our company there is only 5 of us using TopSolid. We never need to have two people working on a project simultanously from two different PCs. With TS6 we have five "C:\Projects" folders - one on each of our machines. Searching for a project becomes a real headache.

For TS7, is it recomendable to have one VAULT shared between all of us? That is, point all our TopSolid 7 installations to one VAULT location somewhere on the network?

This will make searching across projects much easier; of course assuming the search functionality is not inefficient?

Thank-you
Michelle
jehronimo
Major
Major

Unread post by jehronimo »

Hi Michelle,

I think that to have no shared folders is, OK, maybe not a mistake but not a "good" way to work, even if you don't have to really share a project. But it is easier to manage, for your search, your libraries, your backup operations, and so on...

You can of course in TS7 work with a local VAULT, but you will lose a lot of good items of the 7 version. I think, about what I know and what I have seen during seminar here in France, (I ma not working today on 7, I am just a "poor v6 user :lol: ") that shared a network VAULT is a better idea...

But maybe I am wrong...I also expect some comments about how to work with multi-data-users, especially on 7.

Just wait and "see" :D

jehronimo
michelle
Sergeant
Sergeant
TopSolid Version: 6.26

Unread post by michelle »

jehronimo wrote: You can of course in TS7 work with a local VAULT, but you will lose a lot of good items of the 7 version. I think, about what I know and what I have seen during seminar here in France, that a shared network VAULT is a better idea...
Jehronimo I am not sure if you are referring to the multi-user TopSolid server, or, simply a shared vault on the network.

I am quite sure my company will not get the multi-user TopSolid server. So in your training you saw another option was for everyone to simply use the same vault shared on the network?

Anyone else got a comment to add, an idea or an experience to speak of? I really am surprised at how quiet this forum is.

thanks, michelle
jehronimo
Major
Major

Unread post by jehronimo »

Hi michelle,

I am sorry if I was unclear in my last answer. Yes, I spoke about the "simple" solution of a shared VAULT.

jehronimo