Moderators: remi77, jacs, Daniel, Bill, Romain

cnc_lernende
Private
Private
TopSolid Module: TopSolid'Cam
TopSolid Version: 7.10

STL Files

Unread post by cnc_lernende »

Hello, probably you guys get this question asked a lot, I'm still a beginner, but can i convert a STL file in a STEP file on TopSolid? I was trying to mill a STL model i found online, i transfered it on TopSolid and it seems alright: it's 3D and all faces are covered up. But once i try to make the setup this message appear: "Finish contains unsupported geometry." Once i looked better at its Form i notised that the surface has just one face all around the model and TopSolid doesn't read the 3D model as a Form, but just as surface... I searched pretty much on internet how to solve this problem but its written very little about TopSolid 7.
btw. I really like yours Youtube video, they are really helpful, thank you for making it! Could you maybe make a video for this problem too? :mrgreen:

Thank so much to everyone that tries to help me.
- an apprntice on Topsolid7

PS.: this is the link for the 3D model for everyone interested on this case
https://cults3d.com/de/modell-3d/kunst/dragons-3d-wall
Brian
Private First Class
Private First Class
TopSolid Module: TopSolid'Cam
TopSolid Version: 6.26

Re: STL Files

Unread post by Brian »

Have you tried the various options available during STL import? You can import these in a number of different ways (see the attached screenshot), and depending on the choice you will have more options available to edit the imported file. Once you have successfully imported the STL file, you can export to STEP.

I believe the "Finish contains unsupported geometry" message has to do with the import option you selected. If you choose "Exact Shape" you will also be able to heal the mesh into a solid or surface body, and if this is successful you will be able to edit the file using all of the regular modeling tools in TS. Be advised that large STL files may take a bit of time to import and heal.
Attachments
STL import options.jpg