alexander.mann
Private
Private
TopSolid Module: TopSolid'Design
TopSolid Version: 7.11

How do I derive Parameters from other documents

Unread post by alexander.mann »

Hi!

I have an issue with parametrers in documents- i have not found a way yet to hand-through prarameters from one document to another.

So e.g. in CAM when putting together a tool with a toolholder and an endmill I want the assembly document to take over the addition part number from the endmill partdocument - as this is where i define the name that has to be used for the postprocessor.

Or: I create a draft from a part I modelled and i want the material name to be shown in the title block in a table field. But as it is a parameter that is not in the draft or in the view I cannot select this from the list of parameters (only project parameters and document parameters).

How can i access these parameters? Is there a universal parameter lsit available with als system parameters?

Thanks for the support.
by Willem » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:12 am
Hi Alexander!

Dont know if you already found a solution, but I think you could use a 'Text Relay Parameter'.
It's what I use to automatically put a name and insert name for my tool.
I relay and use the 'name' for the body, and relay the 'complementary part number' for the insert.
Parametrise the file name with these 2 relay parameters.

Open the document you want to grab the parameter from.
And then in the file you want it to appear (for example the 'Complementary part number), you choose following:
Text relay parameter -> External > Select opened file -> Complementary part number (or any parameter you want to import)

You can see what I mean and do in screenshots I added.

I also often use 'Real relay parameters', with those you can for example relay certain parameters defined in the tool.
I also added a screenshot for that, here in that case I relay the nose radius, so it is automatically changed in the name of the file when I copy and change the tool to different nose radius. (here it's internal, but you could also open the file and use external if you have custom parameters you want to drag in)

So yeah, Relay parameters usually do the trick.

Greetings
Go to full post
Willem
Private
Private
Answers: 1
TopSolid Module: TopSolid'Cam

Re: How do I derive Parameters from other documents

Unread post by Willem »

Hi Alexander!

Dont know if you already found a solution, but I think you could use a 'Text Relay Parameter'.
It's what I use to automatically put a name and insert name for my tool.
I relay and use the 'name' for the body, and relay the 'complementary part number' for the insert.
Parametrise the file name with these 2 relay parameters.

Open the document you want to grab the parameter from.
And then in the file you want it to appear (for example the 'Complementary part number), you choose following:
Text relay parameter -> External > Select opened file -> Complementary part number (or any parameter you want to import)

You can see what I mean and do in screenshots I added.

I also often use 'Real relay parameters', with those you can for example relay certain parameters defined in the tool.
I also added a screenshot for that, here in that case I relay the nose radius, so it is automatically changed in the name of the file when I copy and change the tool to different nose radius. (here it's internal, but you could also open the file and use external if you have custom parameters you want to drag in)

So yeah, Relay parameters usually do the trick.

Greetings
Attachments
Text relay Parameter.png
Willem
Private
Private
Answers: 1
TopSolid Module: TopSolid'Cam

Unread post by Willem »

attached the other 2 screenshots
Attachments
Relay parameters.png
Real relay parameter.png
JuP
Major
Major
Answers: 6
TopSolid Module: TopSolid'Steel
TopSolid Version: 7.14

Unread post by JuP »

+1 @Willem
Sometimes you will have in a first time to publish your parameter to allow TopSolid to see it outside of your document. But yes relay paramters is the right way :-)
Julien POIROT
TopSolid'Steel Product Manager
Youtube
GrabCad
Facebook
alexander.mann
Private
Private
TopSolid Module: TopSolid'Design

Unread post by alexander.mann »

Thank you that sounds good! I'll try to implement this into my templates.