Pocketing on a curved plane?

Integrated solution for design, manufacturing and management that provides all standard parts and procedures for wood processing.

Moderators: remi77, jacs, Daniel

Robert
First Officer Cadet
First Officer Cadet

Pocketing on a curved plane?

Unread post by Robert »

I'm trying to pocket on a curved plane and I keep getting 'Bad reference plan or edge" Is it possible to perform the pocket tool on a curved plane? or is there a different process I should use?
Attachments
pocket.jpg
olaio
Second Officer Cadet
Second Officer Cadet
Answers: 2

Unread post by olaio »

Hi Robert,

You can not do it directly with the pocket tool.
You need to use auxiliary tools.
For example, you need to create an auxiliary solid above the part to cut, then subtract the auxiliary solid (shape to modify) with the part to pocketing (tool to use), do not forget to use the "EXISTNG OPERATION" mode. After you need to move or offset (it depends your needs) the top face of the auxiliary solid. Then subtract the part to pocketing (shape to modify) with the auxiliary shape (tool to use).
This is an example, some other procedures can acheive the same result, but never with the pocket tool :wink:

Cumprimentos,

Olaio
Robert
First Officer Cadet
First Officer Cadet

Unread post by Robert »

Thanks for the information olaio, I'll try your method, I came up with a slightly different method.
Pieter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by Pieter »

HI,

Maybe the easiest way:
1. imprint the curve on the face
2. Shape -> Surfacic/Boolean operation -> Extrude. The direction is of course inside the part, distance is the depth of the "pocket".

regards
olaio
Second Officer Cadet
Second Officer Cadet
Answers: 2

Unread post by olaio »

Hi Pieter,

Yes you can do it, if the pocket's bottom face is a "translated" face of the top face of the part. If the pocket's bottom face an "offset" face of the top of the part, you can not do this.

cumprimentos,

Olaio