search parts to operate while updating

Integrated solution for design, manufacturing and management that provides all standard parts and procedures for wood processing.

Moderators: remi77, jacs, Daniel

OMG
Master Chief
Master Chief
Answers: 3
TopSolid Module: TopSolid'Wood
TopSolid Version: 6.20

search parts to operate while updating

Unread post by OMG »

Hello

A new day, a new problem... :(

I have two grooves defined as tools in two different parts. One of them does automatic processing when inserting in an subassembly and is updated ok if I modify any processing parameter while the other one needs selecting the process and the shape to modify and is not updated every time.
I noticed that the second one has "search parts to operate while updating" set to "no".

How can I set it to "yes", like the first good groove is?
What makes a tool process automatic or not?
The same question for "apply all tools".

(D_SH_OP_MAKE_PROCESS_TOOLS is already set to 1)

Thank you
Attachments
search parts.jpg
by OMG » Mon May 29, 2023 12:10 pm
Hello again

Problem is solved.

It looks like it was a 50/50 fault, from me & from TSW: two grooves are colliding with each other - one from an OVVO connector and the second one from the back panel (different tools, different machining parameters). The first groove, from the OVVO, which was inserted first, won the battle and the second one disappeared.
When I modify the connector position and the collision disappears, the back panel groove comes alive.

It was my fault that I didn't noticed the tiny collision and the TSW fault that admits such errors without even a message

https://youtu.be/cL_NPAIfzvg
Go to full post
ken
Sergeant
Sergeant
Answers: 4

Re: search parts to operate while updating

Unread post by ken »

Not sure if this helps but maybe when inserting the part/tool, the option: "Search part(s) to operate while updating=" was not checked "YES" and you need to reinsert it into your assembly?
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-05-26 105234.png
Screenshot 2023-05-26 105234.png (11.23 KiB) Viewed 1379 times
Ken Hale
CAD_73
Second Officer Cadet
Second Officer Cadet
Answers: 2
TopSolid Version: 6.24

Unread post by CAD_73 »

From version 6.21 or 6.22 you can change it in the tree: https://youtu.be/CCjzPqezzjs
Senior Engineer 3D
Luxurious (Yacht) Interiors

My YouTube channel
OMG
Master Chief
Master Chief

Unread post by OMG »

ken wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:55 pm Not sure if this helps but maybe when inserting the part/tool, the option: "Search part(s) to operate while updating=" was not checked "YES" and you need to reinsert it into your assembly?
Hello Ken

I don't even have this option displayed on screen when inserting the part in subassembly.
The part we are talking about is a back panel and I noticed that the version which does automatic processing is inserted in "housing" mode and the one which doesn't is in "block" mode. Both versions have martyr parts for walls and upper / bottom plates. I will further investigate this difference to find out if this could cause the problem.
OMG
Master Chief
Master Chief

Unread post by OMG »

CAD_73 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 8:13 am From version 6.21 or 6.22 you can change it in the tree: https://youtu.be/CCjzPqezzjs
Thank you

I learned something new today :)
It looks like I have the same option in 6.19 but I didn't realize that I can right click and modify the "tool process" sub-branch from "advanced", as you did.

Regarding my problem, activating "search parts to operate" doesn't do the operations so I need to further investigate if it's a problem caused by my design or caused by TSW.

I included a test hole near the problematic groove and the hole is operated by "automatic process" but the groove doesn't.
OMG
Master Chief
Master Chief

Unread post by OMG »

Hello again

Problem is solved.

It looks like it was a 50/50 fault, from me & from TSW: two grooves are colliding with each other - one from an OVVO connector and the second one from the back panel (different tools, different machining parameters). The first groove, from the OVVO, which was inserted first, won the battle and the second one disappeared.
When I modify the connector position and the collision disappears, the back panel groove comes alive.

It was my fault that I didn't noticed the tiny collision and the TSW fault that admits such errors without even a message

https://youtu.be/cL_NPAIfzvg
Woody31
Sergeant
Sergeant
Answers: 8
TopSolid Version: 6.23

Unread post by Woody31 »

Hello
we are working on a function to check invalid process, any chance to provide me the full example so we analyse if we can identify such scenario?
Thanks
OMG
Master Chief
Master Chief

Unread post by OMG »

Woody31 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:24 pm Hello
we are working on a function to check invalid process, any chance to provide me the full example so we analyse if we can identify such scenario?
Thanks
Hello Woody
This is a Wetransfer link
Inside, you'll find the files and two pictures with some explanations

https://we.tl/t-fD1adlooTm
Woody31
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by Woody31 »

Hello

thanks for the files.

I see that you made a quite interesting assembly using positioning constraints, quite complex no?
Why did you assembled the box this way? using Bloc Driver and publishing would be much more efficient ( unless there is someting i do not see )

Also the way the tool are declared in the component is not optimal
in general you make one marty per kind of operation
the reference face of the drilling should be the contact face and not the bottom of the groove.

i guess the best would be to review the tools, but i will try to reproduce the error you had.
Woody31
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by Woody31 »

I was able to reproduce the problem, i have enough to analyse, thanks.
OMG
Master Chief
Master Chief

Unread post by OMG »

Woody31 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 4:51 pm Hello

thanks for the files.

I see that you made a quite interesting assembly using positioning constraints, quite complex no?
Why did you assembled the box this way? using Bloc Driver and publishing would be much more efficient ( unless there is someting i do not see )

Also the way the tool are declared in the component is not optimal
in general you make one marty per kind of operation
the reference face of the drilling should be the contact face and not the bottom of the groove.

i guess the best would be to review the tools, but i will try to reproduce the error you had.
Hello

This box is an experimental one, for a product with many configurations, intended for mass production.
I want to use the driver block as a unique reference in order to avoid any interferences between parts when I'll interchange them (I don't have such experience with publishings and, at this moment we want all these parts to be in a local folder and not in a library)

The holes at the bottom of the grooves are just marks for the correct positioning of the OVVO components

What is the advantage of having one martyr part per kind of operation?
Woody31
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by Woody31 »

Hello

Library allow you to interchange and make conditional sub components
Publishing allow you to have a good stability when changing elements
One shape per operation marty avoir some chronological process issues ( rare but it had happened )

Using positioning constraint is something i stopped a long time ago ( unless for decorative items )

A+