error message when editing BOM

Integrated solution for design, manufacturing and management that provides all standard parts and procedures for wood processing.

Moderators: remi77, jacs, Daniel

OMG
Master Chief
Master Chief
Answers: 3
TopSolid Module: TopSolid'Wood
TopSolid Version: 6.20

error message when editing BOM

Unread post by OMG »

Hello

Sometimes, when I try to use a BOM in the TSW tree area (right click / edit boms / add new bom /...), setting "yes" on the "regroup identical parts" option returns me an error message in the alpha window - "Length too short." - which only dissappear if I set the above option to "no".

Can you tell me please what is the problem?

Thank you.
Attachments
Imagine1.png
by Laurens » Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:04 am
Hello,

This can also happen when you apply a filter in your bom.

For example:

I have a bom that filters out all parts with part type "test", meaning it displays only parts that meet that criteria.
If i want to display that bom while having 0 parts with part type "test" it will need to display nothing and it can react like you have now.

Try the same action with like a super simple bom with no filters displaying only element identifiers or designations or something and see what happens.
Or try and make several versions of the one you try to use now where you add one aspect every time to see what breaks it. So first one with only designation then one with designation and index, next, designation, index and reference etc etc. If you know where it breaks it narrows down the search area.

Good luck!
Go to full post
RaudMees
Second Officer Cadet
Second Officer Cadet

Re: error message when editing BOM

Unread post by RaudMees »

Hello

You have error somewhere. This type error is coming up if You have different geometry with same name in one component (usually happens with 3rd party 3D files to include them into TopSolid) and its going crazy. It's very tricky to find this bad guy out.
Do that - Deactivate some elements in tree and regenerate. (I really dont remember was it deactivate or delete).
When error still up, then deactive next parts. Regenerate.
One moment You dont have this error anymore and You will see BOM.
So play a bit more to find out this bad component and look inside, what is wrong there.

Good luck!

RM
Todd
First Officer Cadet
First Officer Cadet
TopSolid Version: 6.24

Unread post by Todd »

RaudMees is right and to help find it use regenerate with the check geometry shape=yes and when you find it you might be able to correct the bad geometry with the functions simplify geometry or clean geometry. also when you use models that are downloaded there might be a very tiny part that is like the size of a pixel that you cant see but is listed in the tree that you can delete it there.
Todd Craig
Great Lakes Woodworking
tcraig@glwdetroit.com
Laurens
Sergeant
Sergeant
Answers: 5
TopSolid Version: 6.24

Unread post by Laurens »

Hello,

This can also happen when you apply a filter in your bom.

For example:

I have a bom that filters out all parts with part type "test", meaning it displays only parts that meet that criteria.
If i want to display that bom while having 0 parts with part type "test" it will need to display nothing and it can react like you have now.

Try the same action with like a super simple bom with no filters displaying only element identifiers or designations or something and see what happens.
Or try and make several versions of the one you try to use now where you add one aspect every time to see what breaks it. So first one with only designation then one with designation and index, next, designation, index and reference etc etc. If you know where it breaks it narrows down the search area.

Good luck!
Laurens

Team leader TSW draftsmen
De Klerk Binnenbouw
OMG
Master Chief
Master Chief

Unread post by OMG »

Thank you for your answers.
It's right, I have a lot of 3rd party 3D files and I'll try to find the bad part.