TSW library management

Integrated solution for design, manufacturing and management that provides all standard parts and procedures for wood processing.

Moderators: remi77, jacs, Daniel

OMG
Master Chief
Master Chief
Answers: 3
TopSolid Module: TopSolid'Wood
TopSolid Version: 6.20

TSW library management

Unread post by OMG »

Hello

I want to ask you what are your habits regarding the management of TSW libraries (creation and modification of standard components)
How many CAD designers use TSW in your organization and how many of them can modify the libraries?

We are about 10 colleagues which use TSW for designing various office & hotel pieces of furniture and everyone can add or modify the standard components. The result is a big mess.

Thank you for your attention.
by RaudMees » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:24 pm
I prefer to have 1 or 2 guys who are doing development and working with library. Then it can be readable and understandable by users. I've seen several libraries which are made by 3-5 users and usually its a big bess. Public components, my components, some extra things and finally it's a mess.
If You train 10 users with same age, education and sex 2 years, then result next month have 10 different handwritings.
Maybe someone have to write inner handbook, how to work with library components and others have to follow.

RM
Go to full post
Todd
First Officer Cadet
First Officer Cadet
TopSolid Version: 6.24

Re: TSW library management

Unread post by Todd »

We have 11 engineers and after proper training they are allowed to add, remove or modify components in the library. But its a slow process to keep it organized typically there first 90 days there not touching it usually after that its with supervision that they are allowed to add or modify till about 3-6 months of walking them through how to correctly add, remove or modify components then they get more freedom. but there are still 2 admins who maintain it for the most part.
Todd Craig
Great Lakes Woodworking
tcraig@glwdetroit.com
RaudMees
Second Officer Cadet
Second Officer Cadet

Unread post by RaudMees »

I prefer to have 1 or 2 guys who are doing development and working with library. Then it can be readable and understandable by users. I've seen several libraries which are made by 3-5 users and usually its a big bess. Public components, my components, some extra things and finally it's a mess.
If You train 10 users with same age, education and sex 2 years, then result next month have 10 different handwritings.
Maybe someone have to write inner handbook, how to work with library components and others have to follow.

RM
OMG
Master Chief
Master Chief

Unread post by OMG »

Thank you for your sugestions. I'll try the "two guys" version :)
Also, a "inner handbook" will be very useful as long as everybody asks "how do you insert component x or y and what parameter z does?"