parametric assemblies with key points vs driver blocks?

Integrated solution for design, manufacturing and management that provides all standard parts and procedures for wood processing.

Moderators: remi77, jacs, Daniel

Robert
First Officer Cadet
First Officer Cadet

parametric assemblies with key points vs driver blocks?

Unread post by Robert »

In my early days with TS I created parametric assemblies with key points. I have built a large library of parametric sub-assemblies and components. I have recently started making driver block assemblies and I love the concept and see the potential of it. What is the best method for design room layout ofr kitchens, closets, or commercial cabinetry? Is it either or, or both and?
Robert
First Officer Cadet
First Officer Cadet

Re: parametric assemblies with key points vs driver blocks?

Unread post by Robert »

Just to follow up, I was wondering if had a similar experience starting with parametric assemblies componets with key points and then moving to driver block assemblies. What were the pros and cons? and what was the workflow differences?
Woody31
Sergeant
Sergeant
Answers: 8
TopSolid Module: TopSolid'Wood
TopSolid Version: 6.23

Unread post by Woody31 »

Hello Robert

Back in time the combo driver + key point was much faster that the typical mechanical way of design with constraints.
Bloc driver solves 2 things a the same time.
Dimension
Position
Plus it guaranty the interchangebility.
it also give more freedom to modify and reposition / resise.
Last 6.22 also gave some improvement.
So my advice try to use it as much as you can.
it also provide an advance mode ( for advanced user ) double wrap.
Take care Robert.
RaudMees
Second Officer Cadet
Second Officer Cadet
Answers: 3
TopSolid Version: 6.20

Unread post by RaudMees »

Hello Robert

I started TopSolid with driver blocks and I know old style from old "whats new documents". Some old things are still useful today, but I like driver block possibilities. In the manuals are not show all small things what You can do with them or what You can do with double wrap. There are plenty of tricks how to work faster.

RM
Robert
First Officer Cadet
First Officer Cadet

Unread post by Robert »

Thank you for everyone's input.

What are best practices for workflow when placing a lot of cabinets in a room?

Sorry, this may be a basic question but if you start with the Sketch(tool) + Rectangle(tool) and connect each corner and layout cabinets locations in the room, and you start placing cabinets and realize that you need to insert a new cabinet and have all the cabinets on one side that need to shift over, how do you insert the new cabinet in between existing cabinets?

I finished my first fully driver block kitchen, it was a pain and not very pretty from a modeling standpoint, but the end results in the rendering turned out pretty cool.
Attachments
21-4-19_Kitchen_no_carved_moldign_11-17.jpg
Laurens
Sergeant
Sergeant
Answers: 5
TopSolid Version: 6.24

Unread post by Laurens »

Robert,

What I would do with a kitchen like this is make a series of base blocks and work outside in.

So start with a few main blocks to define the outer contours of your kitchen, so one for the free standing counter and one for the L shaped counter along the wall and one for the upper cabinets. I think its best you make these with a sketch.
Then inside those outer contour blocks you place a new series of blocks that you constrain to the outer blocks.
Inside those inner blocks you can place driver box cabinets or draw them piece by piece, what ever you prefer. (driver box is faster though)
If needed you could make it parametric as well. Make a counter length parameter and a number of cabinets parameter, place a block in and make it counter length / number of cabinets wide and you will have even more freedom of modification.

Should the situation arise where you need to add a cabinet somewhere all you have to do is shift the inner blocks and all the cabinets move along with it.
We use this method all the time because our clients have quite some freedom when it comes to making changes, so you need to make "flexible" models to accommodate that.
Laurens

Team leader TSW draftsmen
De Klerk Binnenbouw
Robert
First Officer Cadet
First Officer Cadet

Unread post by Robert »

Laurens,

Thank you for the suggestions, I would have never thought about working from the outside in, Or making big blocks and inserting smaller blocks within the big blocks for each wall. I agree that it needs to be flexible, clients seem to always change their minds.

Thank you,
Robert W.