deactivation of subsets

Integrated solution for design, manufacturing and management that provides all standard parts and procedures for wood processing.

Moderators: remi77, jacs, Daniel

quazoosl
Sergeant
Sergeant
TopSolid Module: TopSolid'Wood
TopSolid Version: 6.22

deactivation of subsets

Unread post by quazoosl »

I'm working on a closet with a variable amount of bodies (1-4)

All of the bodies are in different in-place subsets.

I seem only to be able to deactivate specific assemblies, and deactivating an assembly does not seem to effect nested assemblies.

In order of prefference I would like to know:
1 - Is there a way to deactivate a subset and all of it's content with a parameter?
2 - Is there a way to deactivate an assembly and all of it's content with a parameter?
RaudMees
Second Officer Cadet
Second Officer Cadet
Answers: 3
TopSolid Version: 6.20

Re: deactivation of subsets

Unread post by RaudMees »

Hi

Do not make too complex components. Pretty hard to handle them. Tabulated values is the key - I think.

RM
Todd
First Officer Cadet
First Officer Cadet
Answers: 3
TopSolid Version: 6.24

Unread post by Todd »

In-place sub-set is not meant to be used that way. if your making a component then you want to make sub-assemblies and include them in another assembly for multi-level deactivate (sub-component function). in place has limitations. I don't have problems with complex components myself just keep in mind the more you add or complexity the larger the file and possible the slower your file load times and work time is.
Todd Craig
Great Lakes Woodworking
tcraig@glwdetroit.com
ken
Sergeant
Sergeant
Answers: 4
TopSolid Version: 6.20

Unread post by ken »

I made the mistake of trying to build everything in one assembly drawing and split it up with inplace subassemblies with my first library. Not the way to go as Todd said. I found it best to make each component in its own file and then compile them together. If you are making a door, for example, I would put the hinge, pull, and door slab each in their own file and then bring them into one assembly. When setup correctly, this will allow you deactivate the individual components or even define them as subcomponents that can be exchanged.
Ken Hale
quazoosl
Sergeant
Sergeant
TopSolid Version: 6.22

Unread post by quazoosl »

Thank you for the feedback/tips.

I found out deactivation has it's quirks and it works like this:

Code: Select all

assembly1 (open document)
	assembly2 (deactivated in assembly1)
		assembly3 
When assembly2 is deactivated, it shows in the tree, but it (and it's content) is still visible in 3D
assembly3 does not look like it is deactivated, neither in tree nor 3D, but actually is deactivated.

This will only become clear when the entire assembly get's inserted into another assembly like so:

Code: Select all

assembly0 (open document)
	assembly1 
		assembly2 (deactivated in assembly1)
			assembly3
Now you can clearly see in 3D that both assembly2 and assembly3 are not there when assembly2 is deactivated.

I was stuck thinking it wasn't working, when it was working although I couldn't see any indication that it was.