3D mouse

Integrated solution for design, manufacturing and management that provides all standard parts and procedures for wood processing.

Moderators: remi77, jacs, Daniel

quazoosl
Sergeant
Sergeant
TopSolid Module: TopSolid'Wood
TopSolid Version: 6.22

3D mouse

Unread post by quazoosl »

Does anyone use an advanced version of 3Dconnexions 3D mouse? Did you get it to work properly? If yes how?

I've got the Spacemouse Enterprise (3dconnexions flagship model) now, but out of the box (in combination with TopSolid) it only seems to come with the budget model functionality in combination with TopSolid. I would love to be able to use it like I did when I was drawing in inventor video. (Wouldn't you?)

I'm assuming TopSolid isn't making proper use of 3Dconnexions API. Since all worked splendidly when I was working with Inventor or Solid Edge. Also, I found reference to a press release from 2010, that states TopSolid 7 now supports all of 3Dconnexions 3D mice. Sadly, with Wood we're still stuck on TopSolid 6, and there is no telling how long it will take to get to TopSolid 7.

For now I've made shortcut keys in TopSolid and corresponding macro's for the mouse buttons in the mouse software. This is quite a hassle, since I need to do everything in two places, and it's hard to tell what function under tools>options>shortcut keys does what. And sadly, this is hardly taking advantage of the mouse's capabilities, since for instance "Create Contour" doesn't do much for me when I'm not in a sketch environment. Also, although the mouse doesn't see the difference between Design and WoodCam, TopSolid seems to be convinced it is something completely different. Within Design for instance, I now have common functions like: "top-view" "fit" and "tools>options" all configured neetly. WoodCam appears to have it's own options though, and therefore I need to basically start over making shortcut keys.

Since I'm using TopSolid to optimise our processes, and this mouse could make this a lot faster/easier, I really think this could become a force multiplier.

On a related note, what's the best way to contact Missler about this? (Might it be this forum?) I have used the website form some months ago, yet no response.
ken
Sergeant
Sergeant
Answers: 4
TopSolid Version: 6.20

Re: 3D mouse

Unread post by ken »

I have the basic 3D Spacemouse with the two programmable side buttons and setting up shortcuts in TopSolid was the only way I was able to make use of them and I agree it was a pain. I eventually resigned myself to just using icons on the toolbars which was a big concession for me coming from an AutoCAD background where I had shortcut keys for everything.

I heard last year that the plan is to eventually move TopSolid wood to version 7 in the next couple years but I haven’t heard anything since. I would recommend talking with your reseller about the issue and see if they have any recommendations.
Ken Hale
quazoosl
Sergeant
Sergeant
TopSolid Version: 6.22

Re: 3D mouse

Unread post by quazoosl »

From what I heard, Missler is not convinced there is a demand for this.

So I would encourage all of you to look at the video I mentioned earlier reviewing using the mouse in combination with Inventor. And please reply if you would like this functionality.