MOUSE Recommendations

Integrated solution for design, manufacturing and management that provides all standard parts and procedures for wood processing.

Moderators: remi77, jacs, Daniel

scottatTS
Private First Class
Private First Class

MOUSE Recommendations

Unread post by scottatTS »

What mouse have you found to work well with TS'Wood?

I am thinking to move beyond my ordinary MS 3 button wireless mouse to something that will speed up CAD modeling.

Not necessarily looking for one that looks like a jet cockpit (I've seen some fancy mouse with LCD screens and buttons all over! :shock: ), just something that is a definite productivity boost from basic mouse, but easy to learn and use. :)

Our context is we do solid furniture mfg, and interior built-in woodwork like wainscoting and coffered ceilings.

And for those that do a lot of Wood CAM - would the recommendation differ from the mouse for design?
RaudMees
Second Officer Cadet
Second Officer Cadet
Answers: 3
TopSolid Module: TopSolid'Wood
TopSolid Version: 6.20

Re: MOUSE Recommendations

Unread post by RaudMees »

Hi there

Over the years I am using gaming mouse for CAD. On the market are several CAD-type mice, but I don't like them. I tried wireless mouse too, but that one had lag and after that all mice have a cable. Lag was microseconds, for regular using it was "hidden", but to do accurate CAD-job it was terrible.
Last 4 years I have Gigabyte Aivia Krypton + 3DConnexion (simplest one). Keyboard - I don't know how others work, but I need to type text all the time.

RM
Todd
First Officer Cadet
First Officer Cadet
TopSolid Version: 6.24

Unread post by Todd »

So my suggestion to you is a 5-button mouse. forward and back button on the side as for make we use the logitect M705 or the M510, M500 for corded. Also keep in mind that the size of your hand plays a big part in the ability to easily use the side buttons. I would suggest you configure one side button to be the Ctl key so you can 3-D rotate with one hand.
Todd Craig
Great Lakes Woodworking
tcraig@glwdetroit.com
scottatTS
Private First Class
Private First Class

Thanks Todd. I like the suggestion of the ctl key being programmed on the mouse. What do you think of the 3dConnexion wireless CADMouse? it's the simple one, I think just 5 buttons plus the center scroll wheel, has the forward and backward on the side too.

btw, Say "Hi" to Robbie K from Middle Earth for me. :)
Todd
First Officer Cadet
First Officer Cadet
TopSolid Version: 6.24

Unread post by Todd »

I have never used it I have always stayed with Logitech because I play a lot of PC games and didn't need to adapt to a new mouse since I used them all the time at home. but it Look like a great mouse good ergonomics and more than 3 buttons.
Todd Craig
Great Lakes Woodworking
tcraig@glwdetroit.com
RaudMees
Second Officer Cadet
Second Officer Cadet
TopSolid Version: 6.20

Unread post by RaudMees »

3d mouse is also very good to read pdf docs. Its ultrafast and smooth when you need to scroll between 100+ pages.
DamianCz
Private First Class
Private First Class
TopSolid Version: 6.17

Unread post by DamianCz »

I use and recommend HAMA MMORPG mouse

- good value for money
- 12 side keys
- after 4 years not faulty
- software is easy to configure

My shortcut binds (MUST HAVE FOR ANY TOP SOLID USER)

3D
1 = modify element
2 = modify parameter
3 = move parents
4 = delete element
5 = dimension 3D
6 = dimension

DRAFT
1 = modify element
2 = regenerate
3 = move parents
4 = delete element
5 = composite dimension
6 = fast dimension

This setup significantly improves performance as soon as you get used to shortcut binds. Please remember to turn OFF default beep in control panel -> sounds as it will became annoying when using shortcuts it will always beep.
Attachments
mouse settings.png
binds.jpg
mouse.jpg
scottatTS
Private First Class
Private First Class

Damian, Thanks for the detailed input and screen shots - very helpful!

Practically speaking, tell me about your experience using a mouse with so many buttons... how often do you "misfire" and accidently click the wrong button, or two buttons at once, or forget and have to look at the side of the mouse? After programming, how long did it take to get used to using it where you didn't have to stop and think what button is what?

I see the value theoretically of all the programmable keys, but when I see the photo I just wonder if i'd be mashing the wrong keys all the time or forgetting which one is where.

Bottom line you're saying its net net faster training your thumb to click a function in a millisecond rather than moving the mouse with your whole hand and locating and clicking the menu...
scottatTS
Private First Class
Private First Class

Damian, I am considering your mouse, but seems it is not available in the US. However, when I put "uRage MMorpg mouse" into Amazon I get two other brands that look very similar. UtechSmart Venus looks almost identical, Redragon very similar. I'm not into gaming so I don't know any of these brands and i'm not sure if one company makes all three and private labels them for these brands or if someone is copying.

Any thoughts on either of these? I've attached screenshots from Amazon. Not sure if this forum allows hyperlinks so i will try those in a separate post in a minute.
Attachments
UtechSmart Venus mouse.JPG
Redragon mouse.JPG
DamianCz
Private First Class
Private First Class
TopSolid Version: 6.17

Unread post by DamianCz »

Scott,
Practically speaking, tell me about your experience using a mouse with so many buttons... how often do you "misfire" and accidently click the wrong button, or two buttons at once, or forget and have to look at the side of the mouse? After programming, how long did it take to get used to using it where you didn't have to stop and think what button is what?
As you can see i only use 6 side buttons out of 12. The first 6 are very easy to reach i found difficulties using buttons 7-12. As soon as you start working with top solid and key binds you will get used to it pretty quickly and you will never come back again to manualy moving mouse over function.

I see the value theoretically of all the programmable keys, but when I see the photo I just wonder if i'd be mashing the wrong keys all the time or forgetting which one is where.
My setup is intuitive 3D functions and DRAFT functions are on the same keys. That makes this setup up very simple to remember.
Bottom line you're saying its net net faster training your thumb to click a function in a millisecond rather than moving the mouse with your whole hand and locating and clicking the menu...
As stated above you will never come back to manual moving mouse over function again when you start to use mouse with side buttons :)
Damian, I am considering your mouse, but seems it is not available in the US. However, when I put "uRage MMorpg mouse" into Amazon I get two other brands that look very similar. UtechSmart Venus looks almost identical, Redragon very similar. I'm not into gaming so I don't know any of these brands and i'm not sure if one company makes all three and private labels them for these brands or if someone is copying.
URAGE mmorpg mouse was discontinued as brand and they started to sell UtechSmart, it exactly the same mouse and it runs the same drivers.
scottatTS
Private First Class
Private First Class

Thanks everyone! I ordered two mice - Damian's Utechsmart version, and a simpler 3D Connexion wireless. I'd already ordered the 3D, and since the Utech was only $29 I figured I could try!
Jason_Scott
Corporal
Corporal
TopSolid Version: 6.18

Unread post by Jason_Scott »

My biggest time saver is a 3d Connexion spacemouse pro.
It took a bit to get used to but I don't like doing anything without it now.
Jason Scott
Scott Custom Woodworks
435-230-0965