define clash shape

Integrated solution for design, manufacturing and management that provides all standard parts and procedures for wood processing.

Moderators: remi77, jacs, Daniel

OMG
Master Chief
Master Chief
Answers: 3
TopSolid Module: TopSolid'Wood
TopSolid Version: 6.20

define clash shape

Unread post by OMG »

Hello evryone

I'm an absolute beginner in TSW and I'm in the process of learning and defining my own components database. I read a very very thin tutorial called TopSolid'Wood - Wood components creation where they use something called "define clash shape" when they define a screw assembly. I have two questions regarding this topic:
1. is there any info or help somewhere about this operation? - I wasn't able to find something in TSW help
2. generally speaking, is there an official TopSolid source of tutorials? I have a few pdf's from our local retailer but I really feel that I need more than this to be able to start working with this software

Thank you

MG
Last edited by OMG on Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RaudMees
Second Officer Cadet
Second Officer Cadet

Re: define clash shape

Unread post by RaudMees »

Hi there

About clash shape - this is all information about this element in this document and that's it. Usually it works nice, but sometimes I have to re-desing whole component from scratch to get nice result (more than 5 machinings with clash shapes).
Tutorials: Missler's FTP, Youtube and ask materials from retailer.

RM
OMG
Master Chief
Master Chief

Unread post by OMG »

Thank you

I feel that not all the menus / operations are well documented. Normally I wouldn't have to search youtube to find what should be in the official documentation, but that's it :?
DanoR69
Corporal
Corporal
TopSolid Version: 6.18

Unread post by DanoR69 »

I feel that not all the menus / operations are well documented
your feelings are absolutely correct. most of the documentation is in the "what's new" docs and the "Methodology" docs.. print them all out and read them oldest to newest.

I actually have 4 different 2" binders with
* Methodology Docs
* What's New Docs
* Training Guides Docs
* my personal Missler/TopSolid email support correspondence printouts.
RaudMees
Second Officer Cadet
Second Officer Cadet

My small trick is to write someone in Youtube, who uploaded some nice videos, but I need more information. Sometimes I have luck :)
I know that Missler made lot of PDF documents almost everything, usually they are in French, but some of them are in English too. I really like to collect them all and learn all small things...
OMG
Master Chief
Master Chief

Unread post by OMG »

thank you all for your advice
in the meantime I've downloaded the entire ftp/public folder
there are a lot of useful videos there
DanoR69
Corporal
Corporal
TopSolid Version: 6.18

Unread post by DanoR69 »

the videos are good to show you what you don't know, but honestly there is a lot more useful info in the "Methodology Docs" and all the "What's New Docs"

if it helps at all I've been working on TopSolidWood for over two years and still don't have it in the production chain.
OMG
Master Chief
Master Chief

Unread post by OMG »

DanoR69 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:31 am the videos are good to show you what you don't know, but honestly there is a lot more useful info in the "Methodology Docs" and all the "What's New Docs"

if it helps at all I've been working on TopSolidWood for over two years and still don't have it in the production chain.
But what exactly (and where) are those "Methodology Docs"? I've searched on Google and on TopSolid website but with no result.

Are you saying that you work in TopSolid for two years but without use it in production? My company bought 7 licences of TSW in January, we have a CNC postprocessor almost ready and my boss already want us to start designing in TSW.
RaudMees
Second Officer Cadet
Second Officer Cadet

I set up TSW for nesting and beam cnc + wrote library for wardrobe production. It took 1,5 years to run it normally. Redesign postprocessor and components, reposition components for cnc etc. We figured out some strong errors and Missler fixed them in some months. For cnc you have to learn a lot. Design, positioning, turn over parts, indexing and if you like to use edgebandings too, then some tricky things will come :) 7 licenses are good, you are not alone. I had only technologist with me and play through all things took some months. Ok, we put machinings into library to make cuts faster and in right way for cnc. It was long way. Bon voyage! ;)