[Solved] TopSolid Newbie - Can you explain me this?

CADCAM machining solution: mill-turn centers, milling and turning, kinematics, fixtures, topology recognition, tool library, manufacturing schedules, realistic simulation, workshop sheets, post-processors and DNC...

Moderators: remi77, jacs, Daniel

DSantos
Corporal
Corporal

[Solved] TopSolid Newbie - Can you explain me this?

Unread post by DSantos »

Hi folks,

I'm new into the TopSolid world, working with the V6.12 CAM module mostly...

I have a background in other CAM tools, but there is a funcionality in TopSolid that I admit I didn't get yet, and the help documentation does not make it clear either... I noticed the help pages are interactive and allow you to click on the screenshots for further help, but when I did it for this one, all I got was the generic cutter compensation explanation page, and nothing related to these particular fields I show below.

I want to understand what it's the purpose and a real life example of usage for the fields for max. diameter and max. radius for cutter compensation in both milling and turning toolpaths. I have no idea about what they do... never saw this in other CAM systems, as far as I know...

Can someone chime in and explain this to me?

Thank you very much!!!

Daniel
Attachments
Screenshots for turning and milling dialogs
Screenshots for turning and milling dialogs
Bill
Master Chief
Master Chief
TopSolid Module: TopSolid'Design
TopSolid Version: 6.25

Unread post by Bill »

To the best of my knowledge this is used to be able to put a larger radius into the an inside corner. See the included pictures.

In Pic1.jpg I left it at the diameter of the cutter. In pic2.jpb I added a larger value. I went from .375in to 1.0in or 9.525mm to 25.4mm. As you can see it increased the corner radius.
Attachments
pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg
Happy Designing
Bill
Technical Director
Missler Software Inc
DSantos
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by DSantos »

Hi Bill!

Thanks for the explanation!!! I can see the value of it now...

However, I think the text on the dialog does not help the user to figure it out... "Max. diameter compensation" suggests a different thing in my humble opinion... in fact this functionality is like "Min. arc radius to compensate" - Does that make sense?
Bill
Master Chief
Master Chief
TopSolid Module: TopSolid'Design
TopSolid Version: 6.25

Unread post by Bill »

To my understanding...I believe you are correct!
Happy Designing
Bill
Technical Director
Missler Software Inc