Engraving tool

CADCAM machining solution: mill-turn centers, milling and turning, kinematics, fixtures, topology recognition, tool library, manufacturing schedules, realistic simulation, workshop sheets, post-processors and DNC...

Moderators: remi77, jacs, Daniel

Francois
Private First Class
Private First Class

Engraving tool

Unread post by Francois »

I'm wondering if someone uses engraving tools, if so, what kind of tool did you use to create the tool? I've tried Special mill and Taper end mill but I have difficulty to specify correctly my tool (it looks like I have an upside down christmas tree in my tool holder! :lol: )

Je me demandais si quelqu'un utilise des outils à graver dans TopSolid'Cam? Si oui, dans quel catégorie les avez-vous créé? j'ai essayé taper endmill et Special mill mais j'ai de la difficulté à créer mon outil. on dirait que j'ai un sapin de noel à l'envers dans mon holder! :lol:

merci
e7048
Private
Private

Unread post by e7048 »

Hello Francois, we do engraving with a everede chamfer tool and created the tool inside of Toptool using the chamfer mill category, it is represented correctly and works great
Francois
Private First Class
Private First Class

engraving tool

thanks, i'll try that but I have a question; What kind of everede tool do you use? I looked on their site and the smallest chamfer tool i saw did a min diameter of 0.5". personally, i engrave 1/8" high letters with .010" flat bottom...
e7048
Private
Private

engraving tool

Unread post by e7048 »

we engrave .050"dp using the chamfer tool model no. ctrd-625/90 it is designed as a spot drill however we have found it to work great as an engraving tool. It will not work for your .125 high letters because of its shape.
remi77
Administator
Administator

Unread post by remi77 »

Hello

As tu la possiblité de poster une capture d'écran?

Could you possibly post a screenshot?

Cheers

Rémi :wink:
Francois
Private First Class
Private First Class

now that TS has restarted after a crash...

Hi again Rémi77!

here is the first picture of the taper end mill I created.
I'll try to post a thumbnail.
[img][img]http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/4839/image16ny4.th.jpg[/img][/img]

an here is the one i created with special mill. (happy christmas!!!)
[img][img]http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/7010/image17rc5.th.jpg[/img][/img]

here is a close-up of the tip of the second tool,
[img][img]http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/5838 ... mk9.th.jpg[/img][/img]

I read that there are draw files for the tools, could it have something to do with this?

thanks
remi77
Administator
Administator

Unread post by remi77 »

Hi

As special mill, you can draw a simple revolved contour, if you want to add parameters be aware that TopTool uses specifics one for the purpose.

In general, if you start from scratch, create a duplicate workplane at 90° and make it current.
Now you have to create two separate revolved bodies, one for the tail and the second for the cutting part of the tool.

Don't care about the result you've got (your screenshots), it's simply bad values youve entered and with a bit of attention I think you will quickly find what's wrong.

Keep me informed about this

Cheers

Rémi :wink: