[Solved] MILLING CONTOUR LEAD-IN PROBLEMS

CADCAM machining solution: mill-turn centers, milling and turning, kinematics, fixtures, topology recognition, tool library, manufacturing schedules, realistic simulation, workshop sheets, post-processors and DNC...

Moderators: remi77, jacs, Daniel

Top'Noob
First Officer Cadet
First Officer Cadet

[Solved] MILLING CONTOUR LEAD-IN PROBLEMS

Unread post by Top'Noob »

Hi,

I have lots of problems and gripes every time I try to use 2-d milling. I avoid it whenever possible because of these problems.

Unfortunately, not every job can be cut with 3-d toolpaths.

When I am forced into using the 2-d paths, one thing that really bothers me is the lead-in / lead-out section.

I often find myself trying to contour around tiny details that require very small lead-ins to avoid gouging the part.

Whenever I do this I find myself wondering a couple things...

1. Why is TS Cam not smart enough to avoid gouging the part in 2-d milling ops ?

2. Why is the lead-in required to be so long ? It seems like the radius of the tool is the minimum allowed lead-in. What I really need is the ability to specify something like a .002 perpindicular lead-in on my contours.(just enough to turn on compensation)

Have I missed something or is TS Cam deficient in this function ?
TopSolid2007
Master Chief
Master Chief

Unread post by TopSolid2007 »

Hi TopNoob.

I don't know if I really undresttod your doubt, but I have been working 90% of time with 2D milling operations.

I know that the minimum lenght of the lead in/out values must be the radius of the tool and I also suggest you select the option Corrected instead of shifted or original in the combobox for compensation method. It really works fine for me... I have an application where I work with a 6mm diameter millint toll in 6.35mm path... I work with Lead in/out values of 3.1mm for this opperation (perpendicular type) and it works fine on machining.

In your case, if you are working with a milling toll of .25in I suggest you to input lead in/out values like .254

I hope that this information help you to work with 2D milling.
corne

Unread post by corne »

is there a way to say
lead in is tooldia/2+0.3mm

and how can i say leadin ia the same as leadout.

i have v6.10.240
remi77
Administator
Administator

Unread post by remi77 »

Hello,

Corne wrote :
and how can i say leadin ia the same as leadout
In Approach/retract area, you just have to tick the option "Lead out is the same as Lead in".

Concerning "Lead in distance" or "Lead out distance" for example you can add in those field "Tool.rad/2" for example. Unfortunauteley, it doesn't seem to work with the "Lead in/out overlength

See you

Rémi :wink:
corne

Unread post by corne »

remi77 wrote:Hello,

Corne wrote :
and how can i say leadin ia the same as leadout
In Approach/retract area, you just have to tick the option "Lead out is the same as Lead in".

Concerning "Lead in distance" or "Lead out distance" for example you can add in those field "Tool.rad/2" for example. Unfortunauteley, it doesn't seem to work with the "Lead in/out overlength

See you

how can i set the option "Lead out is the same as Lead in" so that this is always on?
remi77
Administator
Administator

Unread post by remi77 »

Hello,

If you want this option for all milling option,

Check the menu:
Edit -> Change default values -> Milling -> Global -> Lead in distance,
Be careful, two approach types have the same name, the second one is for tangential Lead in.

Once you've added your préferences, choose the option "Lead out as same as lead in" (Parameter name is "Retract_same_attack",

See you

corne

Unread post by corne »

it all work like the way i wanted.
attack_dist is (Tool.diam*0.5) +0.3
attack_radius (Tool.diam*.5) +0.3

thanks remi 77 for the information :D :D :D
remi77
Administator
Administator

Unread post by remi77 »