File size now over 1G and still lots more work to do......

CAD solution for mold making: slider design, guide rails, jacks,
mold base, components and process, coolant circuit, control via mold levels, creation of drawings, parts lists...

Moderators: remi77, jacs, Daniel

Goodtimes
Private
Private

File size now over 1G and still lots more work to do......

Unread post by Goodtimes »

I am currently working on a 2 cavity door panel job and the file size has now climbed up to over 1G and I still have ejection and water to do which are very heavy on the file size.

The job is currently very difficult to work with, taking 3-5 minutes per process and upwards of 40 minutes to save.

Any tips on how to make the file size smaller and also work with the job that I have? I know about the purge operations but I am still working on the job and that only helps when the job is done.

Thanks
jehronimo
Major
Major

Unread post by jehronimo »

Hi,

You are wrong, the purge is not only a good solution for a finished work. You can use it during your design, but to be efficient, you also need to manage operation to keep in memory before the use of the purge. For example, you have a subtract operation, then 30 drilling operations for a cooling circuit, then a pocket...Keep in memory the subtract operation an the pocket, it will help you to manage correctly the purge and will avoid the full computation if you have to handle your circuit....

Also, what is your graphical tolerance?

And why are you designing now the cooling system? It seems you blocks are already done? It is not he same door panel? For the cooling circuit, you can try to go down the trimming operation of your CC blocks (with the last function in the Part and parting context), and design your water before this trimming op....it would be easier to design a lot of drills in a "cube" instead of a trimmed shape...

For the ejection, my advice : deactivate the auto process mode, insert your ejector pins, and create the process by managing the allow undo mode....

I think that you may done something wrong, because I also manage large mold design, and I never get a 1Gb file....

Just one thing : the part had been simplified? What is the part filesize?

Jehronimo
olaio
Second Officer Cadet
Second Officer Cadet
Answers: 2

Unread post by olaio »

Hi Googtimes,

Here comes some tips to change your project:

1 - Change the graphical tolerances to 0.5 or higher (this is only graphical and the computing times are better).
2 - It seems to me that your are saving the file using the "compressed file" option. If you have no problem with disk space change the settings to "binary file".
3 - If you are working in a server, save the project in your PC and then copy the project in the end of the day in your server.

Now some tips for news big projects:
1 - Same tips before :)
2 - Make the blocks and molding inserts in one file (save it like blocks.mld).
3 - Make slave parts for all the molding parts.
4 - Create a new mold document for the general assembly.
5 - Use the "edit -> duplicate" option to duplicate all the molding parts to the mold document.
6 - Create all the standard components in the mold document.

We are working this way, and we are abble to manage big assemblies.
One variant of this process is to have two intermediate files for the injection side and the ejection side, when we need to have two persons working in the same project. In the final assembly usually we use the insertion by component.

It should be interesting to know if there are persons working with another strategy :wink:

Cumprimentos,
Olaio
olaio
Second Officer Cadet
Second Officer Cadet
Answers: 2

Unread post by olaio »

Hi jehronimo,

I agree completly with you :wink:

Another thing that can be done with a little of working, but that reduce the computing times, is to create the components without process (like you say), but instead of create ALL the processes, create only one process and then propagate the process. I know this can be very dangerous, but believe me, this can reduce a LOT of computing time :wink:

Cumprimentos,
Olaio