Can not create 2D draft sections

CAD solution for mold making: slider design, guide rails, jacks,
mold base, components and process, coolant circuit, control via mold levels, creation of drawings, parts lists...

Moderators: remi77, jacs, Daniel

Goodtimes
Private
Private

Can not create 2D draft sections

Unread post by Goodtimes »

Greetings,

When trying to create a 2D section in my draft document this error comes up (Boolean operation failed ( : 1755.mld,CORE_BLOCK part (layer=4)),
and the section does not appear.

How can I create this section?

Thanks
Top'Noob
First Officer Cadet
First Officer Cadet

Unread post by Top'Noob »

Try this...

Shape, Manage, Check geometry... and select the core block...

I had a similar situation and finally realized (thanks to var help) that I had an "invalid" block.

Fix the invalid block and your draft document will work...

Hope this helps.
Larry M.
Master Chief
Master Chief

Unread post by Larry M. »

2008 definetly has a problem. It's been reported. The problem is a "Full Section". You can cut a "Section" (Command next to it). It is not a bad geometry problem, although you should check it.

I've had this on 2 different tools already, VERY FRUSTRATING.
jehronimo
Major
Major

Unread post by jehronimo »

Hi,

Of course you can, it is not a problem on 2008 release. Maybe you are not lucky, but I am working with this version, and I have no problem to make full section. I think the solution gave by Top'Noob is the one...

Jehronimo
Goodtimes
Private
Private

Unread post by Goodtimes »

I checked the block and there was one error. The surfacer was able to remove that error and I was then able to cut my sections in the draft document.

Thanks again for all your help.
Larry M.
Master Chief
Master Chief

I'm glad you where able to get it fixed Goodtimes. Invalid blocks is the first thing you should check.

Jehronimo, there is a bug of some type in 2008 with Mold Full Section. I've had 3 jobs completed in the last 2 weeks with 2008 and can NOT make a Mold Full Section. There is no Invalide entities in the mold assembly anywhere. I can make a Mold Section, but not a Full Mold Section. So there is a problem in 2008. I respect your knowledge of TS, from what I've seen in the forums you know it better than most, if more than anyone. But I use this software to make my living, if it doesn't work it affects My income directly. And the section problem has cost me over $800US in lost time and almost cost me a customer because I couldn't get prints done. In fact I'm making prints this morning on my 4th job, and guess what? No invalid block and I CAN"T CUT A FULL SECTION!

I'm not a Noob at this..........

No offense TopNoob......
Top'Noob
First Officer Cadet
First Officer Cadet

No offense TopNoob......
:lol:

None taken.

What type of error message do you get when it fails ?

What patch do you have ?
jehronimo
Major
Major

Larry M. wrote:... But I use this software to make my living, if it doesn't work it affects My income directly. And the section problem has cost me over $800US in lost time and almost cost me a customer because I couldn't get prints done. In fact I'm making prints this morning on my 4th job, and guess what? No invalid block and I CAN"T CUT A FULL SECTION!

I'm not a Noob at this..........

No offense TopNoob......
I am sure you not a Noob :wink: and be sure I understand what could be your feeling after losing a customer. It already happened to me and be sure I share your experience. About your problem, did you try to make a Design Full section, and not a Mold Full section? Or at least a section view?
Larry M.
Master Chief
Master Chief

Bolean Error.

I can cut a regular Section (Mold or standard)

I can cut a standard Full Section on the A or the B but not both at the same time.

I can not cut a mold Full section at anytime.

2008 patch 212.
olaio
Second Officer Cadet
Second Officer Cadet
Answers: 2

Unread post by olaio »

Hi Larry,

Just trying to help, or not :) .
Have you try to make the crossing section directly in the 3D mold file?
The boolean failled in the 2D should indicate you what part gives the error.
If you create the section contour in the 3D mold file and try to trim by sweeping curve all the parts in the assembly, maybe you can located where the problem is?

Cumprimentos (regards in portuguese :) ,

Olaio
Larry M.
Master Chief
Master Chief

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Yes I can cut 3d section anywhere I want. I can cut a regular Section also at the same locations but I still can not cut a "Full Mold Section" on a tool design yet. It always fails with a bolean error.

I've now designed 8 tools in 2008 and cannot cut a full section in any of them. If I parasolid the file out and read it back in 2008 or 2007 it works fine. Makes the cut with no issues. So to me this means there is no parasolid issue in the files. It must lie with something in Mold itself.
Trent
Private
Private

I have the same issue

Unread post by Trent »

I agree Larry. It seems to be an issue withen mold. I can also get a section of just the "A-side" or just the "B-side" but cannot create a section with both of them.

However if I create a top view of the entire mold with just the standard view creation button instead of the mold view creation I can then create a full section of the tool.

Hopefully misler can resolve this quickly as it is a HUGE problem for those of us that create prints of our molds!!
Larry M.
Master Chief
Master Chief

Well I found what the problem was in all of my designs. It was the DME JP352 water connector in the TopSolid library. If you use the JP352 in a design and you cut a Full Section that puts the connector in a way that TS has to figure out a Profile of it (Even if you don't actually cut through it), you get a Bolean error. I've got 8 designs with these connectors in them and none of them could cut a Full Section. I switched all 8 designs to JP252 and I now can cut a Full Section on all of them.

So stay away for JP352 connectors for now. 5 weeks of frustration because of one simple componet. You don't want that.
Top'Noob
First Officer Cadet
First Officer Cadet

Glad to hear you've got it worked out ! :D
jehronimo
Major
Major

Hi,

The problem is not specially a problem of the JP352 plug...it occurs when you insert this specific code plug AND activate the option Threading with high quality in File | Properties | Projection parameters.

The problem is this option is automatically activated by the TopSolid'Mold full section, to give us the best result. And with THIS CODE and only this one , it fails.

To complete the "Larry bypass" : insert JP252 plug, compute the full section (it works without any problems with this code), and modify your component code to have a JP352 in your design. update the views, you have your JP352 plug...

Jehronimo