Adding Parameters to a Catalog header

CAD solution for mold making: slider design, guide rails, jacks,
mold base, components and process, coolant circuit, control via mold levels, creation of drawings, parts lists...

Moderators: remi77, jacs, Daniel

JEFF_STALLONE
Private First Class
Private First Class

Adding Parameters to a Catalog header

Unread post by JEFF_STALLONE »

I have been working on some user components recently, and when I create a template to work from an excel document all of my named parameters come up.
I noticed that I had missed a parameter that I wished to name, so I went back to top solids and named the parameter. After I went to edit the catalog header, the named parameters I added do not show up.
how do I get this to work. anyone?
Larry M.
Master Chief
Master Chief

Unread post by Larry M. »

I believe all you need to do is add another column with that parameter name at the end of the existing one.
jehronimo
Major
Major

Unread post by jehronimo »

Hi,

Yes, just add your columns at the end, and you would be able to also manage those parameters.

Jehronimo
JEFF_STALLONE
Private First Class
Private First Class

ohhhhhh I see!

Unread post by JEFF_STALLONE »

Haha,

Ok, so I understand now that when you say add a new column, you mean, in TopSolids.

I thought you meant in excel, however I now see, that in the "Parameter" toolbar I can click on "Edit List"
then in the Dialoge box on the far right, click "Column".

This makes more sense. At first I tried to just reopen my excel file after I had added a new parameter to the .top file. That did not work for me.

Great, thanks for the help everyone.

:idea: One more thing I noticed while working with the components. (when triming or subtracting a component that will be defined as the part) You MUST do all of your triming and subtracting before you define the part.
When I defined the part before I did my triming, the "trimmed" or deleted part that was taken away in the original file, was the part that showed up when I included the standard on another file. Not sure if this was a problem anyone else is having but I just thought I'd mention it.

Sooo much to get used to right now, :roll:
but I seem to be getting the hang of it. :P
Larry M.
Master Chief
Master Chief

Unread post by Larry M. »

If you already had a parameter defined in a new TS document. You should be able to just add a column to the end of the excel document and enter values. That should work. But the TS file won't see the updated excel sheet until it is reloaded. So don't edit the excel sheet while the related TS file is open. TS won't see any of the updated data until it reloads the part. TS only looks at the excel sheet when it first loads the part.
Pieter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by Pieter »

Hi all,

As far as I know, all catalogs are "indexed" on start-up of TopSolid. So you need to relaunch TS after creating or modifying a catalogue. :(

To add a column to the Excel you need to name the cell "TOP_parametername". Where parametername is af course the name of the parameter in TS.
Be carefull in TS "A" is not the same parameter as "a", in Excel they are the same!
The name of the cell is located in the right corner on the top of the screen. By default it will be something like "A5" you just select "A5", type the new name of the cell, then ENTER.

Regards

Pieter