[Solved] Multi-cavity issue

CAD solution for mold making: slider design, guide rails, jacks,
mold base, components and process, coolant circuit, control via mold levels, creation of drawings, parts lists...

Moderators: remi77, jacs, Daniel

Jenny
Private First Class
Private First Class

[Solved] Multi-cavity issue

Unread post by Jenny »

I want to create a two cavity mold using the multi-cavity function.

The part is to be rotated, and not mirrored. There isn't a "rotate" function available in the propagation window, so I selected "other propagation". Here I was able to select "circular", with a total rotation of 360° and a total number of 2. I am then prompted back to the propagation window - the transformation options are now blanked out and I'm not able to select "unite". I hit "ok" and the propagation is complete leaving me with two seperate mold halves.

To create one single block, I then when to "unite" under shapes. Everything looks fine and dandy until I go up to my mold visualization where I see there are two core and cavity bottom blocks. One is the united two cavity mold, and the other is the propagated half.

What did I do wrong? How do I create one single core/cavity using rotate???

Thanks!!
(a newbie TopSolid user)

Bill, I did mention this to Don, and he mentioned possibly sending you the file. I'm just throwing this out there incase others have come across the same problem.
Larry M.
Master Chief
Master Chief

Unread post by Larry M. »

You did alright. One more step. Goto Management, Set Assignment, Then select Extract and select the block you don't want in Mold Visualization any more.

Set Assignment is where you can set things manually into the mold or extract them from the mold visualization.

It also should have been a 180deg rotation with a total number of 2.

You can have it unite both to the Mold base, but it won't unite them together as an insert (It should allow you to (hint, hint)). You have to do this part manually. Select the original first when using union. Then extract the duplicate out of mold visualization.
jehronimo
Major
Major

Unread post by jehronimo »

Hello Jenny,

You have to remember that you can unite mold shape as you want (plate+block, plate + plate, slide +insert, as you want :lol: )

BUT you must extract from the mold assembly the tools of the union, to only keep in the main mold assy the result you want to manage.

In your case, you might have to use the Duplicate component function. It also works on the block, and it is easier to manage the rotation issue with this tool than with the multi cavity wizard :wink:...

Jehronimo
Bill
Master Chief
Master Chief
TopSolid Module: TopSolid'Design
TopSolid Version: 6.25

Unread post by Bill »

Hello Jenny!

from what I have read, you have been given good advice as to how to handle the multi cavity.

The only point that I will add is that when you use the Set Assignment function to either include, or extract items from Mold visualization, you are actually modifiying the contents of the mold assembly and thus the BOM as well. Only items that are in the Mold Visualization area will show up in the BOM. Also, only items that are in the Mold assembly can and will be affected by automatic mold processes such as ejector pins.

Have fun! :-)
Happy Designing
Bill
Technical Director
Missler Software Inc