How to use parameters from other components

Product design in 3D, mechanical engineering, kinematics, dynamics, parts and components, surfacic, assemblies...

Moderators: remi77, jacs, Daniel

lord19
Private
Private

How to use parameters from other components

Unread post by lord19 »

Hello,

I have a document where I assemble a component from my 3D library.

This component has an excel file where it has codes that changes its length. I have defined this length parameter as an auxiliary parameter (so when I assemble it, it appears at least on the tree of the other doc.)
But even though its there, I can't (or don't know how) to use it.

For example, I want an extrusion to grow according to the auxiliary paramater of the component. So I define a parameter for the extrusión say L_ran

The auxiliary parameter of the component is L. So when I try to say L_ran=L, it tells me it is an invalid expression. Meaning in this new doc., the parameters of the components assembled are not recognized.

But I've seen how in other libraries that come with the TopSolid (which use .cat files) they are able to retrieve parameters from other components assembled.

How do you do that?
olaio
Second Officer Cadet
Second Officer Cadet
Answers: 2

Unread post by olaio »

Hi lord19,

did you defined it as driver?

Olaio
lord19
Private
Private

Unread post by lord19 »

Hi Olaio,

Yes, parameter "L" is a driver. But still I don't know how...

I want to do something like on the lmc library, the minifix (on my computer its: C:\Missler\V612\z\woo\lib\TopSolid'Wood_LMC\assembly\eccentric#V=metal minifix reduced#I=00#R=DT.top)

They retrieve the parameters from other components calling for their number, for example like @123

And if they change the code of the component assembled, the parameter they created on the document with an expression like p1=@123 also changes.

Lorena
kamil.meblemieczkowski
Private
Private
TopSolid Module: TopSolid'Wood
TopSolid Version: 6.15

Re: How to use parameters from other components

Unread post by kamil.meblemieczkowski »

lord19 wrote:The auxiliary parameter of the component is L. So when I try to say L_ran=L, it tells me it is an invalid expression. Meaning in this new doc., the parameters of the components assembled are not recognized.
The way to reach auxiliary parameter is as follows:
When creating or modifying local parameter (L_ran in that case), instead of just typing value or expression, click "Parameter" button (blue sliders, by default between "Point" and "Selection tool"), then select "Component parameter" button, point the component and choose your desired auxiliary parameter.

Note: the list to choose from contains designations. Name is used only if designation is empty (unset). That's why you may or may not find literally "L" on the list. Just look by designation if any, then by name.