Choose export coordinate system for STEP and STL export

Proposals and Suggestions for new features in TopSolid.

Moderators: remi77, jacs, Daniel

DSantos
Corporal
Corporal

Choose export coordinate system for STEP and STL export

Unread post by DSantos »

Hi,

This is an important enhancement for us: The ability to choose the coordinate system that will be used as the origin of the exported model. We need this to export tools to VERICUT and Crash Guard Studio, the WFL app for real time collision detection on their millturns.

We already have the solution for Parasolid format:

We want it to be made available to STEP format:

And STL format:

We have aprox. 400 3D cutting tools to import from Pro/E into TopSolid. This shall render aproximately 3000 components to be imported individualy... so it's very important to us that we export these models using the CS of our choice.

This was a bad surprise for us in the move from Pro/E to TopSolid because Pro/E allow the user to choose the CS for nearly all output formats. We want to adopt TopSolid as our main CAD tool but this limitation prevents us to do so in regards cutting tool design.

The current workaround is too laborious and prone to conversion errors due to the high number of operations and conversions involved. (Export to Parasolid, import again and export to STEP or STL.)

Thanks,

Daniel
DSantos
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by DSantos »

In fact the STL exporter allows the selection of a specific CS, all you have to do is click on ">>" - STEP converter is still handicapped though.

Funny to see that noboby replied to this thread correcting me. I'm a newbie in TopSolid - I believe this place does not get much attention from Missler R&D...
DSantos
Corporal
Corporal

Support for a different coord. system in STEP output - V6.14

Unread post by DSantos »

They added support for this in V6.14:

That's customer driven R&D for sure!