Using TopSolid with Machining Cloud

Everything about new TopSolid'Cam 7 software.

Moderators: remi77, Daniel, Bill

michelle
Sergeant
Sergeant
TopSolid Version: 6.26

Using TopSolid with Machining Cloud

Unread post by michelle »

Hi there,

I've just stumbled across www.machiningcloud.com and was quite surprised to see that in fact TopSolid is a partner of Machining Cloud. I don't really know enough about Machining Cloud yet but I have watched this introductory video https://youtu.be/-Fa6uX8NIZ0

Q1) Could anyone shed some light on how TopSolid integrates/plays with machining cloud? In particular

Q2) Is it possible to create complete tool assemblies in MC and use it in TopSolid (ie of both holder and cutter) without any further modification?

Q3) Are speeds and feeds imported into TopSolid at all?

I suppose mostly what I am asking is - how is Machining Cloud useful to TopSolid? I noticed there is even a library for Machining Cloud installed by default in TopSolid.

Thanks in advance,
Michelle
Last edited by michelle on Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
jgrimm
Private First Class
Private First Class
TopSolid Module: TopSolid'Cam
TopSolid Version: 7.6

Re: Using TopSolid with Machining Cloud

Unread post by jgrimm »

Michele,

We use Kennametal's version of Machining Cloud (Novo). To answer your questions:

1, We use it as a resource for importing models of turning and milling holders. From there, you need to define the tool in TS (frames, functions) and put it in your own library. It is pretty simple once you do a few. I was told there is a pricey option for TS and machining cloud, but I don't know what it does. Perhaps if Missler did some marketing....

2. I don't think so. Have you defined any of you own tools yet?

3. Not that I am aware of.

I have a few resources on defining tools and holders I can send if you like.

John
michelle
Sergeant
Sergeant

[deleting this post as it is redundant in light of reply from Machining Cloud below]
Last edited by michelle on Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
michelle
Sergeant
Sergeant

Hello,

I wrote to both Machining Cloud and an advanced TopSolid user who I also asked. I'll post their answers below in case it is of interest to anyone else. I've shortened both a bit replies a little.

Thanks John - please do email me which ever documents you have on Tooling. The only ones I have are these:
Tools-Properties 7.8.pdf
TopSolid.TG.Cam.Tools.v7.10.Us.pdf (a tutorial)

FROM MACHINING CLOUD:
Hello Michelle,

I checked on our Youtube Channel and it seems like we don’t have a video for TopSolid. I will check if our marketing department can create one with the TopSolid team. I would suggest that you watch the videos of our other CAM partners who have very similar functionalities:

MasterCAM: https://youtu.be/IVWEUYunMuk
ESPRIT: https://youtu.be/_WwnSYQP9VU and https://youtu.be/QsK4p0kIb0w
(and other software videos are available in this playlist : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVWEUYu ... uI1UQWWsTa)

In a nutshell, here is the typical workflow:
1. In MachiningCloud you will create a job, create tool assemblies and add them to your job.
2. Import this zip file in the software that you use. Tools will be created directly from the data exported by MachiningCloud.

In other words, instead of having to create the tools manually in TopSolid (figuring out what tool type you need to create, typing all the data manually or importing 3D models manually, etc..), it will populate the tools automatically. Also, the 3D models are accurate and will result in better simulation accuracy especially when it comes to collision detection.

Feeds and Speeds are available, I am not sure if TopSolid uses them.

I know that TopSolid only supports milling tools at this point.

Best Regards,
(Machining Cloud)

FROM ADVANCED TopSolid USER:
Hello Michelle

There is an interface to Machining Cloud. Machining Cloud provides tools of different manufacturers to CAM-systems as a service. It requires an additional license for this Module from Missler (module 3701) and you also have to pay this service (I think approx. €50 monthly / seat) directly to Machining Cloud.

The tool models are normally ready to use after the download, so all functions are provided...no need to define them by yourself.

However, there is still a benefit to learn how to define tools in TopSolid for the scenario when a particular tool you want is not available from machining cloud. In such a case the user still has to know what to do in TopSolid. Once someone has defined the first few tools, it is really a quick thing :-)

Kind regards,
Cheers,
Michelle
Last edited by michelle on Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
jgrimm
Private First Class
Private First Class
TopSolid Module: TopSolid'Cam
TopSolid Version: 7.6

Unread post by jgrimm »

I too would like to see a demo on this. I suspect, based on the quality of some imported models, that this will still require manipulation.