Variable Spindle RPM & Feed Rates

Everything about new TopSolid'Cam 7 software.

Moderators: remi77, Daniel, Bill

Andre
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by Andre »

Doing Side Milling, Pocketing and so on, is TopSolid capable of performing machining with variable Spindle RPM & Feed Rates?
For example when there is small amount of material on toolpath obviously you can increase feedrate and on the other hand when mill goes deep into material feedrate slows down
Thank you in advance!
Last edited by Andre on Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Oostveen
Chief
Chief
TopSolid Module: TopSolid'Cam
TopSolid Version: 6.26

Re: Variable Spindle RPM & Feed Rates

Unread post by Mark Oostveen »

In TopSolid'CAM V6 it was possible to change the federate according to the material to be removed. I give it a try in V7 maybe I can find something.

Mark
Andre
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by Andre »

Thanks! Looking forward, as always, Mark!
Mark Oostveen
Chief
Chief

I found one option. You can use technology points. Right click on the operation and check technology points. Now you can select the "+" to add a new point. This is done by selecting a segment of the operation, you can insert a M code or change the federate at this point.
It is a manual way of working. I did not found the automatic one from V6

Good luck.

Mark
Andre
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by Andre »

Thanks. Will try to dig in this directions as well.... Just watched this video...

The guy in this video using VoluMill strategy in End Mill operation and in the end he has G-code with variable F (feedrate) values, but not Spindle speed variation though. At least it is something.

Do you think it could be it?

Regards,
Andre
Mark Oostveen
Chief
Chief

No volumill is à build in 3th party strategy. You need a special license if I am correct. But this strategy sure uses multiple feeds in one operation. It is not the option I was looking for.

Volumill is much more than only variable federate. The tool path has a complete different approach aswell.

Regards

Mark
Andre
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by Andre »

I don't have VoluMill licensed, so cannot check if it could be a solution :roll:
So what would be the point of specifying Material for the stock part if it is not used in any way for calculation of Feeds and Speeds? :|
It doesn't look intelligent at all when tool move at constant m/mm and RPM, is it?
Mark Oostveen
Chief
Chief

Well that's not true.

Roughly:
Based on the combination of machine, tool material and part material TopSolid select a Cutting condition document. There you can specify for a the cutting conditions even for different axial and radial depths. If you change these max axial or radial depths and click on re-read cc the new values are determined out of this document.
So it is based on the max values not on the actual values in each segment of the tool path.

I wouldn't call it useless.

There is even a second thought you have to keep in mind. The machining strategies standard available in TopSolid more or less have constant axial and radial depths. Except for maybe a first pass in a closed pocket or in a corner. Volumill does not have constant radial depth, it varies a lot more, therefore Volumill has a greater need to change its feeds ate than the standard strategies.
Andre
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by Andre »

Probably my first impression is all wrong and not complete because I haven't mastered TopSolid yet.
Mark, thank you again! :wink: