How to use custom made Machine

Everything about new TopSolid'Cam 7 software.

Moderators: remi77, Daniel, Bill

Andre
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by Andre »

Hello! Please help! I have created Machine in TopSolid7, The machine definition is valid.
How to add it into TopSolid Machine Library so I can use it for simulation?
Mark Oostveen
Chief
Chief
TopSolid Module: TopSolid'Cam
TopSolid Version: 6.26

Re: How to use custom made Machine

Unread post by Mark Oostveen »

You can't if I am right. Just create your own library, copy past the machine I'm the library.
Than make a reference from your project to the library containing the machine. Now you can select it.

Good luck
Andre
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by Andre »

Thank you! Will dig in this direction. It's a pity that it wasn't explained in the Help PDF TopSolidCam_Tutorial-Machine.pdf at all. As well as how to use Numerical Control for example.
Do I need just a Machine model that I created to be able to simulate machining or it works as Machine+Postprocessor somehow? My machine is Haas UMC-750
Mark Oostveen
Chief
Chief

No, for simulation you only need a machine definition.
Mark Oostveen
Chief
Chief

Oh one more thing. After you put your machine document in your own CAM library you must validate the machine document.
Andre
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by Andre »

Is anywhere on the net I could see step-by-step CAM instructions/tutorials for TopSolid7 in general and Machine creation/usage in particular? Just don't want to waste time guessing :roll:

Thanks again for your help!
Mark Oostveen
Chief
Chief

Where are you from? Like in what time zone?
Have you already asked your reseller? I did manage to create my machines based in the tutorial provided with the software. Maybe try YouTube there are som vids there aswell.

Please keep asking And trying, you will learn the most like that.

Can you post your machine as an exported package?

Regards

Mark
Andre
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by Andre »

I live in CET time zone. Reseller is out of the office for two weeks, so I have to wait until he comes back.
PDF Tutorial provided with the software got me only to the point of composing machine assembly, assigning axes and frames, movements and rotations and then I stucked on abruptly finished tutorial as there where no explanation how to use it after creation.
I believe learning should go fine after I sort things out with Machine simulation / postprocessing

Mark, if it does not take much time, would you be so kind to explain a little bit in details a few steps in accomplishing selection of the custom build machine for simulation in the project.

Cheers,
Andre
Mark Oostveen
Chief
Chief

Well I will try

Fist you need a part to machine. This is probably in your current project.
Second you need make from this part a machine part setup where you define the part and the rough material.

Than the machine.
Create an empty Machining by right clicking on the project or the destination folder and choose Machining. Now you have a document with a standard Missler machine and an empty part.
Open at the left hand side the NC-Operations menu. At the bottom you will see blue underlined the active machine. Something like "Missler Software - NC Machine ........" Just click this. Now a list with available machines appears. If you put your machine in a library and did validate it, it should be there. Just select it.

Now drag your Machined Part Setup doc into this machining document and it should be fine.

check your pm aswell [emoji2]

Regards

Mark
Mark Oostveen
Chief
Chief

If your machine is in the same project as the machining and validated you also will be able to select it like above.
Andre
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by Andre »

MachineError1.jpg
Trying to create Machine for our Haas UMC-750. Rotation of B axis alone and C on B is working fine. Problem with the Head movement (XYZsolid), When add translation on X only, it is working, once movement on Y added, Test Machine Axis stops working for all including B and C. The cause is probably in some sort of loop in the kinematic tree which I cannot understand. Any help please?
Mark Oostveen
Chief
Chief

I think I see your mistake. You have drawn only one shape, the XYZ_Solid.

You first must define elements. The thing is that you need a element for each "movement" regardless of having a Shape for it.

If I see the video's on the internet of a UMC 750 I see the following:

(Assuming the door opens parralel to X)
X on Ground
Y on X
Z on Y

As the message said. It's a chain of movements. The shape should only be selected in the last movement which is the Z, than it will move in X, Y and Z as they are following each other to Ground.

So I would define the following:

Elements
X_Element: Without shape, just leave the box empty. (You don't have it in your definition)
Y_Element: Without shape, just leave the box empty. (You don't have it in your definition)
Z_Element: With the shape 'XYZsolid":
Spindle_Element: With a shape "Spindle" (a small cilinder in the nose of your XYZsolid, You don't have it in your definition)

For the Spindle_Element: Check ToolHolder and define a Frame for that. This Frame should have the same oriantation as the machine AND the absolute frame but placed in the nose of the spindle.

Movements
Prismatic; Name: X; Direction: X+; Carrying: Ground; Carries: X_Element
Prismatic; Name: Y; Direction: Y+ Carrying: X_Element; Carries: Y_Element
Prismatic; Name: Z; Direction: Z+ Carrying: Y_Element; Carries: Z_Element
Cilindrical; Name: Spindle; Direction: Z; Carrying: Z_Element; Carries: Spindle_Element; Check option poweraxis; set max RPM etc.

Please check the following....
Cilindrical; Name: B; Direction: Y-; Carrying: Ground; Carries: B_Element
Cilindrical; Name: C; Direction: Z-; Carrying: B_Element; Carries: C_Element

It is important that you choose the minus direction for your rotations!!!. It is not the tool that makes the movement but the part. So invert the direction.

Oh well, this is startup trouble.I normaly would advice to let your reseller define the machine. You can do yourself but it will take some time and you will learn alot once you understood how TopSolid is thinking about machines. :mrgreen:

Mark
Andre
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by Andre »

Mark, you are absolutelly right. I did as you explained and it works! Image
Now I having problem with the Spindle creation Image
Snap 2015-01-15 at 05.40.36.png
I imported STL file for Z_Element. For creation of Z_Element there where no problem, in the window Shapes it selected as whole Polyhedron "Head". To create a Spindle_Element, in the window Shapes I am unable to select just a small cilinder in the nose of the Head, all shape is getting selected. Probably I have to extract somehow this small cilinder or draw a new one and then to create a Spindle_Element from it?
Attachments
Snap 2015-01-15 at 05.41.25.png
Mark Oostveen
Chief
Chief

Try without selecting any shape. So try to create the Spindle Element without a shape. The other solution is that you draw a new part which is a small cilinder and select that.

Good luck

Mark
Andre
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by Andre »

Thank you, Mark!