SolidWorks Premium vs. TopSolid'Wood CAD

Off topic discussions, where you can just relax, have a tea or a coffee, talk about the weather or something else...

Moderators: remi77, jacs, Daniel

scottatTS
Private First Class
Private First Class

SolidWorks Premium vs. TopSolid'Wood CAD

Unread post by scottatTS »

What can SolidWorks premium version do that TopSolid Design (CAD) cannot?

Conversely, What can TopSolid do that SolidWorks cannot?

It is hard to find good comparison info, seems these softwares are so complicated that no-one has enough experience with both to be able to respond.

Any input is welcome!
Christopher
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by Christopher »

Hello,
whats you interest? Do you want to buy one of those products?

Which version of SolidWorks are you talking about?
If you want wood features, you have to buy one of those API-based Add-Ons while you get wood features included in TopSolid from the main-developer.
jeff
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by jeff »

As my friend Christopher points out SolidWorks does not have functions specific to the wood products industries. You will need 3rd party software and much experience to create macros that have these efficiencies.

SolidWorks has been created for the general industrial/mechanical design markets with no emphisis on wood products or production.

To understand these differences you need to gain some experience with CAD/CAM software's. I suggest you start with Sketch-Up and move on from there. After you have toiled for many thousands of hours only then can you really understand the difference.
scottatTS
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by scottatTS »

Christopher,
We already have the latest Solidworks 2009 premium. We are considering very strongly to go with TopSolid'wood. Just looking to hear something of the plus and minus from users, as well as sellers. This is part of how I make my buying decisions on a major purchase like this. I like to hear from actual users who are using it in production. Thanks Jeff for the suggestion on Sketchup, have it, but of course it will not power my CNC router so we are looking at SW with a wood API or TS'wood.

Any other thoughts from anyone that might help us?