Can I uninstall MSFT SQL Server on my PC

Issues and questions related to TopSolid installation.

Moderators: remi77, jacs, Daniel

michelle
Sergeant
Sergeant
TopSolid Version: 6.26

Can I uninstall MSFT SQL Server on my PC

Unread post by michelle »

Hi there,

In the installation manual it says "The Server Tab is not Used", however, Microsoft sequel server was automatically installed on my PC during my standalone installation. I know will not be setting up a PDM Server on my PC - can I go ahead and un-install Microsoft Sequel Server?

If yes, I will do this by by UN-checking Microsoft SQL Server" and clicking "Modify".
SQL_SERVER_INSTALLED_ON_STANDALONE.png
Thanks,
Michelle
Last edited by michelle on Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
remi77
Administator
Administator

Re: Can I uninstall MSFT SQL Server on my PC

Unread post by remi77 »

Hi Michelle

Let me answer the Obama way :mrgreen:

"Yes, you can" :mrgreen:

See you

Rémi :wink:
Thanks to use the Image on the best answer when you've got the solution.
michelle
Sergeant
Sergeant

Thanks Remi (again) for your reply!

I tried running setup.exe to unistall Microsoft SQL Server but unchecking SQL Server automatically unchecks CAD, CAM and Interop. If you also agree that this is a bug please bring it to the attention of your colleagues at TopSolid. Here's a little video for them showing how it does not work: http://youtu.be/sSpjZkooisg?hd=1

Since I'll only ever use my computer for a standalone installation or a client installation, shall I just uninstall each of the highlighted programs below from Add/Remove programs ?
UNINSTALL_SQL.png
I feel quite stupid being the only one asking these questions so thank-you for your continued patience.
Michelle
michelle
Sergeant
Sergeant

Okay, I answered my own question as I uninstalled everything related to SQL SERVER and TopSolid works fine. After I unisntalled everything I opened up TopSolid and made sure I could open a previous project and I also checked a new project in. No problems were found.

SOLUTION:
1. If you don't intend your computer to act as a PDM server, you don't need Microsoft SQL Server
2. Upon running setup.exe make sure on the SERVER tab you de-select MICROSOFT SQL SERVER
(actually ignore step 2 above because you are forced to install Microsoft SQL SERVER)

3. You have to manually go and uninstall MICROSOFT SQL SERVER> add/remove programs > sort your installed programs by "installed on" date > Find the day TopSolid was installed > uninstall everything SQL SERVER related which was installed on the same day

A Suggestion to the TopSolid Team:
Since most installations won't be for the TopSolid PDM Server by default it would be more convenient to have "Microsoft SQL Server" un-checked. At the moment by default it is CHECKED (and you cannot install CAM or DESIGN without having this checked).
Bill
Master Chief
Master Chief
TopSolid Module: TopSolid'Design
TopSolid Version: 6.25

Unread post by Bill »

Hello Michelle,

In this year's version of TopSolid 7 (7.11), it was announced to users that Microsoft has discontinued the SQL Compact edition of SQL. What does this mean? It means that for 7.11, you can continue to work with SQL Compact edition. However for 7.12 (2018 version), you will be required to use SQL Server Express even on a local installation.

Why?

TopSolid is a PDM based solution. The PDM requires a database to enable all of the tracking of information that TopSolid does.

In preparation of this change from Microsoft, we have chosen to install SQL Server Express on stand alone instances of TopSolid this year. This is in an effort to help people migrate.

Now as a bonus to you as a user, you now have what we call Local PDM Server. The local PDM server let's you do a lot of cool things. For example, once converted to local PDM server, you can run multiple instances of TopSolid. You can even work in the same project at the same time if you want.

For more information on how the local pdm server environment works, I would check these videos out.

TopSolid 2017 - PDM - Multi session same user on local server and client server
https://youtu.be/BRbYT1JxVvE

Also, not sure if you know about it, but there is a blog full of great videos on TopSolid. You should check it out:

blog.TopSolid.com

Finally, all of the videos for the blog on from the official youtube channel for the blog. I post the videos to the youtube channel and they slowly post to the blog. So if you don't want to wait for the blog...

https://www.youtube.com/c/TopSolidBlog

Hope this helps.
Happy Designing
Bill
Technical Director
Missler Software Inc
michelle
Sergeant
Sergeant

Hi Bill,

Thank-you very much for your thorough reply. Yes local PDM server sure does look cool, but really we won't use it. If our intended maintenance period covers this time frame I would be happy to install all the SQL programs needed for for 7.12 then. Also, I'm sure the SQL tools themselves will have updates anyhow.

Q1. For TS 7.12 do you know what month (approximately) it is planned to be released next year?

Q2. For 7.11 (and without local PDM functionality), Can I go ahead and unstiall all the boxed programs as shown below but just keep "Microsoft SWL Server Compact 4.0 SP1 x64 ENU"?
Capture.PNG
Thank-you once again.
Michelle

PS Yes!! I've got both the blog and youtube page book marked and I'm very happy for them both. I intend to work through the tutorials one by one, I started with the TS pdf CAD tutorial followed by the pdf 4DCorp Basic tutorial. This morning I'm moving over to the youtube page to start learning CAM via the TopSolid Cam Basic 2d Mill Tutorial
Bill
Master Chief
Master Chief

Unread post by Bill »

HI Again,

Regarding Q1. It depends on which market you are using TopSolid in. For example, I work in the US market. Here we release it in April each year typically. The best is to reach out to your reseller to find out the schedule of release from them.

Regarding Q2. You have a lot of different SQL's installed. I cannot be sure that those were created by the TopSolid installer. If you have older versions of TopSolid installed, the best is to use the DVD to uninstall with. It will remove the appropriate items.
Happy Designing
Bill
Technical Director
Missler Software Inc
michelle
Sergeant
Sergeant

Thanks Bill.

All of the SQL programs- if you look at the installation date all those SQL programs will installed with TopSolid. When I installed TS on a second machine and the result was the same. That is, a whole lot of SQL programs were installed - all of those which are highlighted.

To uninstall SQL, it's not possible to use the installation disk (see my second posting on this thread, I made a little youtube video). When I deselect Microsoft SQL Server on the Server tab it automatically deselects CAM and CAD on the TopSolid tab... which means TopSolid would be uninstalled to. Which is why what brought me to go through add/remove programs.
Bill
Master Chief
Master Chief

Unread post by Bill »

michelle wrote:Thanks Bill.

All of the SQL programs- if you look at the installation date all those SQL programs will installed with TopSolid. When I installed TS on a second machine and the result was the same. That is, a whole lot of SQL programs were installed - all of those which are highlighted.

To uninstall SQL, it's not possible to use the installation disk (see my second posting on this thread, I made a little youtube video). When I deselect Microsoft SQL Server on the Server tab it automatically deselects CAM and CAD on the TopSolid tab... which means TopSolid would be uninstalled to. Which is why what brought me to go through add/remove programs.
I would leave them then. As I mentioned SQL is a requirement of the software. It is better to leave it then risk making TS potentially unstable.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Happy Designing
Bill
Technical Director
Missler Software Inc