Defining tool cutterlengths..

Integrated CAM application for wood industry.

Moderators: remi77, jacs, Daniel, Liam

jouhou
Private
Private

Defining tool cutterlengths..

Unread post by jouhou »

Hi all,

In TopSolid 6.12 woodcam I have a annoying problem when it comes to defining cutter lentghs....

In the below example pic I have a roughing Slot Mill cutter that I have tried to define in a meaningful manner. The total length of the tool length is 138.6mm. and when marked as such.. the simulation shows the tool length correctly and I assume to tool also knows how to calculate all tool paths without hittins something it shouldnt... BUT...!! The tools lenth is 138.6mm BUT the actual maximum cuttind depth (or axial depth) of the tool is only: 44mm. So If I try to cut more than 44 mm in one goe.. the results might be dramatic to say the least. And There is no safeguard built into TopSolid woodcam which should help prevent the previously mentioned problem..The only solutin sofar that I fhave been able to figure out is A.) try to remember (memorize) all the actual maximum single cutting depths for all the tools... (not possible- I'm not THAT good!) Or try to write down into the comment field OF each actual tool that : IE: max single run cutting depth (axial depth) is 44 mm!!! etc..) and please check in the operations manager list to make sure this works..

Ofcourse I could input the max Cutting Length into 44mm instead of 138.6.. but then this would be risky as well...?

NOw our working environment is a teaching environment.. and the aforementioned method for checking such operations is poor to say the least.. one can safely assume our budjet for machine maintenance needs to be increased x10 .. atleast..

IS there any other place where one can input the max. cutting length for the tool AND max radial depth separately without having to commit to memory the mentioned data for 33 differetn tools?
Attachments
Tool length.jpg
Currently using:
Biesse Rover C 6.40
Christopher
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by Christopher »

You have to enter the length of the cutting edge in that field.

When you create a new tool in that dialog, you create only the tool, not the tool link, so you dont know the total length.

You can add the total length, when you mount that tool on the machine.
To do that, make a right-click on the tool in the magazine and you will see the parameter to change. If you do not make any change on that one, TopSolid uses the same as the cutting-length.
jouhou
Private
Private

Unread post by jouhou »

Thanks for reply.. for the moment it seems to solve the problem.
Currently using:
Biesse Rover C 6.40
jouhou
Private
Private

Unread post by jouhou »

... Hello! its me AGAIN...

The above started cutting length vs Tool length debacle continues. As Christopher above suggested I can edit the Chuck distance from teh toolchanger tab.. BUT it would also appear that these changes dissappear sometime during the night, literally! Yesterday I added new tools and made the required changes. This morning as I started my work again I noticed that the "Chuck Distance" data had reverted to that which is the cutting lentgh data from "Definition" Tab.. so all of my work yesterday was gone.. (And yes I had saved several times yesterday.) I had shut down the program yesterday on several occasions and the data had remained intact.. But today all gone!??

After this latest development I made a change to a Chuck distance. saved the tool file, shutdown computer and rebooted.. and the new changed value was still there.. however all of yesterdays changes remained gone?

Its as if.. the data is saved into a temp file somewhere.. but not quite? very confusing!

I'm sure there is a txt based file where I can directly add and change the tool data? any ideas where it is.. ? This skipping about between 3 tabs to input tool data is very slow and annoying. especially when I have to do this everyday!
Currently using:
Biesse Rover C 6.40