AlphaCAM vs. TopSolid'WoodCAM

Integrated CAM application for wood industry.

Moderators: remi77, jacs, Daniel, Liam

scottatTS
Private First Class
Private First Class

AlphaCAM vs. TopSolid'WoodCAM

Unread post by scottatTS »

What can AlphaCAM Ultimate do that TopSolid'WoodCAM cannot?

Conversely, What can TopSolid do that AlphaCAM cannot?

anyone out there ever use a recent version of AlphaCAM to do both CAD and CAM for furniture?

Any input is welcome!
Christopher
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by Christopher »

I think alphacam has some more advanced features regarding engraving, TopSolid has a much more powerfull CAD. Like always, it depends on your needs.
jeff
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by jeff »

Its very simple, AlphaCam is a good CAM (computer aided machining) software.

TopSolid Is a manufacturing software CAD and CAM. TopSolid can manage thousands of parts. TopSolid is in a different league than AlphaCam.

If you are asking these types of questions it might be best for you to find some entry level program to start with until you understand the difference.

TopSolid Is probably not best for beginners
scottatTS
Private First Class
Private First Class

With due respect Jeff, I beg to differ. Sorry my question is too kindergarten for you :lol: but that is where we are right now. Asking questions of actual users is part of my due-diligence before buying expensive software. Our buying decision, right now, is between AlphaCAM's premium product and TS'WoodCAM.

My question to users here is in the context of the typical woodwork factory. Sure TS can handle a nuclear sub or a jet aircraft with thousands of parts and sub-assemblies, but I haven't had many quote requests for those lately. On the practical level for solid wood furniture in a typical woodwork factory, what is the real difference on the production floor?

TS'WoodCAM may be in a different league, but AlphaCAM has the huge market share in woodwork factories small and large, both in the "big league" as well as small, whereas TS'WoodCAM currently has a fraction of it. Asking TS'WoodCAM people, users and sellers, why I should go to them instead of the market leader is a wise question in my mind. I obviously think TS'CAM has a lot of merit or I wouldnt be asking the question here. I tend to like going against the tide and finding the "better" solution to lots of things, but before I plunk down the big change, I want to hear from users and know the plusses and minusses.

Would like to hear thoughts from some users, especially anyone who has actually used AlphaCAM so I can understand the differences better.
scottatTS
Private First Class
Private First Class

btw, the attached photo shows some of the kind of furniture we want to make - perhaps that will help guide comments on the differences between Alpha and TS.

We currently make this kind of furniture with tradtional machinery - shapers, hand-routers and hand-carving with hand-rubbed oil finishes. We have recently bought a CNC router and are therefore entering a whole new phase of learning. Had been using AutoCAD and CabinetVision for parts of our work, but no CNC. We are now in Kindergarten for CAD/CAM that needs to go to the CNC.
Attachments
We made this by hand!
We made this by hand!
denmark219
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by denmark219 »

Scott,
I don't think anyone meant any disrespect. What he means is that Alphacam really isn't meant for drafting, it's better to import parts from a CAD software package (autocad, solidworks, TopSolid, etc) and use Alphacam to produce all your toolpathing and GCode. Alphacam should almost always be used in tandem with a dedicated CAD package. If you were a one man shop who just wanted to make a couple parts a day, then you could get by with just Alphacam. If you want to product cabinet assemblies, doors, or anything else, go with the CAD (TopSolid etc) and CAM (alphacam, enroute etc) combination. Hope that helps!
scottatTS
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: AlphaCAM vs. TopSolid'WoodCAM

Interesting old thread. I still don't understand why the original question was misunderstood; perhaps I should have written a longer question. I understood then and now the difference between CAD and CAM. What I was asking for was a comparison on the CAM side of things between the industry leader AlphaCAM and TS WoodCAM - feedback from actual users in the woodwork industry. I was hoping for TSWoodCAM users to tell me how TS is better. I hope the silence is not the answer!