Draft detailing for project drafting

Integrated solution for design, manufacturing and management that provides all standard parts and procedures for wood processing.

Moderators: remi77, jacs, Daniel

Bernd
Private
Private
TopSolid Module: TopSolid'Wood
TopSolid Version: 6.18

Draft detailing for project drafting

Unread post by Bernd »

Hi,

I'm looking for a solution to automate our 2D drafts of our projects.
I think draft detailing could be a very handy solution (for many people...) but it doesn't function as good as it should (or could) be.

The Idea is to give a 3D model (of a cabinet or.. a working plate or... whatever..) some dimensions... that appear in the complete 2D Draft of the project.

But... here's the issue... the dimensions defined in draft detailing appear trough all the projected models in 2D.. always.
I think if you could let the dimensions react like a product or a curve... then you could let them disappear when making a section-cut, defined with view-depth.
Like this, you could automate dimensioning the 2D of your total assembly of the entire project.
Wouldn't this be nice?

But.. for me.. in my eyes... this is so convenient.. that it makes me wonder if this technique already exists in Top Solid.
Does anyone have a clue how to come to this result?

I've tried some various things already.
- I made my own dimensioning-component.. created by curves & formatted tekst.. that reads a mesurment.
The problem with this is... when you define a curve in a draft detailing direction... it tends to be buggy in 2D.
When you define only one direction, either "+pos" or "-neg", the curves Always appear in the "+pos" viewingdirection.
+ you cannot define an assembly into draft detailing.. so I make it happen trough auxillary elements.

Another issue is that, the formatted text only shows in a "+pos" viewingdirection. Never in a "-neg" direction.. even if you define the tekst in a "-neg" draft detailing...
very strange I think.

This makes me think that the developers of Top Solid once started the developement of draft detailng.. but never went completely trough with it.

Anyway...
Probably draft detailing is developed voor the Multi-draft technique... where you mostly don't have more than one (ore a few) models per 2D.

So, I think there is some potential here for many many users to automate dimensioning complete 2D projects of some nice interior design.

So... a lot of text :).
Does anyone have a clue what I'm talking about? And does anyone have some answers or idea to realise this goal?
The next thing I'm going to try is to create a dimensioning-compnent... where I make the elements in 3D products... hoping to let draft detailing do its job correctly.. + it would be somewhat easier to define & select 1 or 2 auxillary elements (instead of ±10).
Another requirement is to create a 3D model of the formatted text.

I hope it works...
but really... why doesn't this work with standard dimensions...? Why do they have to appear all the time.. trough everything in 2D...?
Again... I think this could help a lot lot of people...
And Missler too ;-).

(great software for the rest... only somewhat expesive.. no? :) )

Greetz.
B.
Last edited by Bernd on Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:38 am, edited 4 times in total.
Bernd
Private
Private
TopSolid Module: TopSolid'Wood
TopSolid Version: 6.18

Re: Draft detailing for project drafting

Unread post by Bernd »

Just tested products in draft detailing.
It works.
I just discoverd why text doesn't project in X"-neg"... probably because it would display in mirror writing.

hmz... :).