Import Adobe Illustrator text

Integrated solution for design, manufacturing and management that provides all standard parts and procedures for wood processing.

Moderators: remi77, jacs, Daniel

Erik Davidson
Private
Private
TopSolid Module: TopSolid'Design
TopSolid Version: 6.17

Import Adobe Illustrator text

Unread post by Erik Davidson »

Hi,

I am trying to import a logo from Adobe Illustrator. I can import the logo as DWG and I can see it in TopSolid but i can't use it in any way to cut holes and similar operations. The logo comes in as curves but they don't respond as usual. Any ideas on this?
RaudMees
Second Officer Cadet
Second Officer Cadet
Answers: 3
TopSolid Module: TopSolid'Wood
TopSolid Version: 6.20

Re: Import Adobe Illustrator text

Unread post by RaudMees »

Hello

From Illustrator You will get splines, not polylines or arcs or smth. And splines are terrible to handle. One and bad option is to redraw it in AutoCad with polylines and arcs and then import it to TopSolid. I don't know any better options.

RM
Chris Hammond
Private
Private
TopSolid Module: TopSolid'Wood
TopSolid Version: 6.17

Re: Import Adobe Illustrator text

Unread post by Chris Hammond »

If you can get it into a DWG, try opening the DWG in TopSolid. Then start a sketch and use the insert functions to bring the lines into the sketch. Finally constrain the inserted lines (try the fixity or rigidity constraint). This should work but you should make sure your DWG file has polylines and is clean (all line segments are closed and on the same plane). To be honest I've done this a lot, but it usually things like floor plans. It may be more challenging with more complicated CAD.