Best way to Cut Out Over-sized Parts in Nest

Integrated solution for design, manufacturing and management that provides all standard parts and procedures for wood processing.

Moderators: remi77, jacs, Daniel

ken
Sergeant
Sergeant
Answers: 4
TopSolid Module: TopSolid'Wood
TopSolid Version: 6.20

Best way to Cut Out Over-sized Parts in Nest

Unread post by ken »

I have some parts that are 5-1/2" wide but need to be out 1/4" wider (5-3/4") when they are nested so when they are added to the cabinet maker can flush trim off the extra material for a perfect fit. I tried to add the extra material using the over dimension field in the part characteristics but the nesting function uses the finished part size, not the stock size. I am wondering if there is a way to use the oversized stock for nesting... Any ideas?
Ken Hale
Todd
First Officer Cadet
First Officer Cadet
Answers: 3
TopSolid Version: 6.24

Re: Best way to Cut Out Over-sized Parts in Nest

Unread post by Todd »

there is only one way I know of to do this now and that is duplicating the part modeled bigger and then butt joint the duplication to be smaller tag the larger oversized part for nesting and the smaller part as a dummy part to represent the oversized part in the draft and then put in and exception to filter out the larger part from the draft views. but in the future I believe Missler is working on a way to handle this better
Todd Craig
Great Lakes Woodworking
tcraig@glwdetroit.com
ken
Sergeant
Sergeant
Answers: 4
TopSolid Version: 6.20

Unread post by ken »

Okay, thanks Todd!

So, I am going to make a new part type, PRODUCTION ONLY, to assign the duplicate and allow me to to filter it out when drafting and on the display part, un-check Add to Cutting up.
Ken Hale
VVN
Corporal
Corporal
TopSolid Version: 6.18

Unread post by VVN »

Hi, Ken.

I don’t know if you still need this information – there is a way to use other-sized parts.
In the part definition dialogue you must add “over dimensions” data into the overvaluation section (on the tab “Cutting-up”) and use “Nest rough” on the tab “Nesting”. It works.

Best regards,
Vladimir.
With best regards,
Vladimir

www.effcz.eu