Freelance TS Work?

Integrated solution for design, manufacturing and management that provides all standard parts and procedures for wood processing.

Moderators: remi77, jacs, Daniel

Robert
First Officer Cadet
First Officer Cadet

Freelance TS Work?

Unread post by Robert »

Does anyone do Freelance TS/wood work? I'm exploring outsourcing some TS work and wanted to know if any has done it before and if so what was your experience with it? What were the pros & cons?

Thanks
sinvia
Sergeant
Sergeant
Answers: 1
TopSolid Module: TopSolid'Steel
TopSolid Version: 6.21

Re: Freelance TS Work?

Unread post by sinvia »

Dear Robert,

Can you share your request in detail? Or send me message.

Sinvia
JuP
Major
Major
Answers: 6
TopSolid Module: TopSolid'Steel
TopSolid Version: 7.14

Unread post by JuP »

Hello,

In France lot of companies have difficults to find good TopSolid'wood (woodcam) users. it's a real problem. I think it's same in other country where there are TopSolid'wood licences, but I probably a very local market.
Julien POIROT
TopSolid'Steel Product Manager
Youtube
GrabCad
Facebook
RaudMees
Second Officer Cadet
Second Officer Cadet
Answers: 3
TopSolid Module: TopSolid'Wood
TopSolid Version: 6.20

Unread post by RaudMees »

Hello

I can offer service with TS Wood. I have engineering experience in wood industry over 15 years and with TSW ~3 years.

WBR
RM
Robert
First Officer Cadet
First Officer Cadet

Unread post by Robert »

Attached is the typical process I go through working with AutoCAD freelancers. 1) I create a rough sketch with dimensions. 2) I receive lines drawings back, usually I make 1-2 minor revisions. 3) Full detailed AutoCAD drawings. 3) 2D color renderings. 4) Invoiced by freelancer & I pay via Paypal.

I have never done this process with anyone working in TS so if anyone is interested please contact me and give an idea of how much you would charge for the attached project in TS.

Thank you
Attachments
IMG_3755b.jpg
ken
Sergeant
Sergeant
Answers: 4

Unread post by ken »

Hi Robert,

We currently handle all our drawings in-house but I have always been curious about the out-sourcing process and I receive email solicitations from companies from time to time that provide drawings services.

When you get the 2nd revision (final) drawings back do they provide you with cultists or any other manufacturing information beyond the cad drawing you show or are they just for presentation to the customer? It looks like the final drawings have a good bit of detail that was added after the initial drawing you received so I am assuming that you communicated that after receiving the first drawing. Do they charge you per revision? Do they give you a quote after seeing the initial sketch or do they bill an hourly rate?

If all I had to provide was the 2d drawings you show, I would be probably just generate them in Acad as quickly as possible but there would be no manufacturing information created beyond what the drawing showed. If I had to generate cutlists, g-code, detail drawings for production, ect. I would use TopSolid. The little bit of additional time it would take me to make the 3d model would payout in the end.

-Ken
Ken Hale
RaudMees
Second Officer Cadet
Second Officer Cadet
Answers: 3

Unread post by RaudMees »

Hi Ken.

Today I don't have Global experience with drawing services, but in our area (Estonia, Finland, Sweden, Latvia) we have different type of services.
1. Small companies - front, top, side view + some sections + BOM
2. Bigger companies - front, top, side view + some sections + detail drawings + BOM (sometimes DXF files for CNC)
3. Fully machined production - no experience with this as service. I have some ideas with this, but for this I have to buy CAM license + I need customer CAM config to offer CNC-ready products.

Pricing - when customer send sketch or picture for price offer, then I calculate everything into price offer. Point 1 one price, point 2 second price and point 3 third price and it's fixed with some changes. If changes take more than 10% time of calculated time, then some hours will be added as extra. It's very safe and clear for both sides.

WBR
RM
Robert
First Officer Cadet
First Officer Cadet

Unread post by Robert »

Ken,

The detailed CAD drawings go to 1 of 50 factories we deal with around the world so there is no need to create part drawings we allow the factory to determine how they want to manufacturer it though we provide certain standards and parameters they have to follow.

I use a flat fee and factor in 2 small revisions per projects if there is more than 2 revisions it's consider a new project. I use a flat fee per project because of the sheer number of projects I have to process, up to 1000 a year. So a good freelancer could get 100-200 projects a year, some projects he makes out well others not as well.

The reason I'm looking into finding a freelancer in TS is that I would like to utilize the TS models for 3D Rendering.

I hope I answered your questions

Robert