Tool load/display time

CADCAM machining solution: mill-turn centers, milling and turning, kinematics, fixtures, topology recognition, tool library, manufacturing schedules, realistic simulation, workshop sheets, post-processors and DNC...

Moderators: remi77, jacs, Daniel

AndiKS
Corporal
Corporal
TopSolid Module: TopSolid'Cam
TopSolid Version: 6.26

Tool load/display time

Unread post by AndiKS »

Hello

We have upgraded our TopSolid from 6.9 to 6.11 and now the display/load of Tools is very lame if TopSolid is more then 1-2 hours open.

The Version 6.9 run very good and fast.

Have other users the same problems?
How fast is your TopSolid when you load a Tool to display it?

cu
Andi
Bill
Master Chief
Master Chief
TopSolid Module: TopSolid'Design
TopSolid Version: 6.25

Unread post by Bill »

Hello AndiKS,

I have not noticed any delay at all when loading tools.

Let me ask you a couple of questions that might help find the problem.

Is your database local to your machine? or from a Network path? If it is a network path, check to see that the network isn't causing the problem.

Are you on 32bit windows or 64bit? And which version of Windows? I am on 64bit Windows 7 and I don't see any delay at all.

How much ram do you have on your computer? And how big are the files that you are working on?

If you are on a 32bit OS and are working on larger files that might be exceeding the 1.7Gb limit of Windows in 32bit, then this could be your problem.

The reason that it seems faster when you restart is that by shutting down and restarting TopSolid, you are clearing the memory cache. If this is yoru problem, maybe it is time for 64bit.

Hope these thoughts lead you in the right direction.
Happy Designing
Bill
Technical Director
Missler Software Inc
AndiKS
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by AndiKS »

Hello Bill

Thank you for the reply!

Your group-folder is on the same network share as the one of TopSolid 2008, we work a lot over the network and there is all ok.

We work on Windows XP 32 Bit with 4 GB of RAM, the CAM-Files have from 1MB to 100MB and the display time is the same.

cu
Andi
Bill
Master Chief
Master Chief

Unread post by Bill »

Hi Andi,

My guess, and it is just that, is that you might be running into the 32bit memory limitations of Windows. In 32bit, each instance of an application that is running can access up to 1.7Gb's of Ram. Once you reach that limit, then your application will begin to use Swap file space (the hard disk). This will greatly slow down the performance of any software.

That said, the solution would be to upgrade to a 64bit OS. Personally, I recommend Windows 7 Pro 64bit. It is by far the best OS that Microsoft has released in the past 15 years.

On 64bit computers the memory limit exists still, but it is set to be so high that it is unlikely that you will ever hit it.

A way that you can find out if you are hitting the memory limit is to check the memory usage of TopSolid when it begins to run slow. Just launch your task manager and go to the Processes tab and find the TopSolid executable.

If restarting TopSolid solves the problem then you are definately hitting memory limits.

Hope this helps
Happy Designing
Bill
Technical Director
Missler Software Inc
AndiKS
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by AndiKS »

Hello Bill

On the same PC run TopSolid 2008 perfect, what limitation is there in TopSolid 2010?
I think there is a memory leak....

We have one new PC with XP 64Bit, 8GB of RAM, i7 CPU, ....
and 15 old PCs with 32 Bit Windows....
The new 64Bit PC is used for very big files....

I will look at the memory usage on the next day.

cu
Andi
Bill
Master Chief
Master Chief

Unread post by Bill »

Hi again,

Not sure why the difference between them.

As to the limiations of 2010, I am not aware of anything off the top of my head. I am already looking forward to TopSolid 2011! I hope to learn more about it in the next week or two!

I think that as software evolves, it is likely that it might require more resources to run.

The only other thing that you can test that I can think of besides it being memory related, would be to put a local copy of your TopTool on that machine and not access the tools from the network Group drive. You can then see if perhaps it was your network that is causing the issue...
Happy Designing
Bill
Technical Director
Missler Software Inc
AndiKS
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by AndiKS »

Hello

Bill wrote:The only other thing that you can test that I can think of besides it being memory related, would be to put a local copy of your TopTool on that machine and not access the tools from the network Group drive. You can then see if perhaps it was your network that is causing the issue...
Thanks for your fast replay!
I would test that in the next week...

cu
Andi