[Solved] Creating a side insert

CAD solution for mold making: slider design, guide rails, jacks,
mold base, components and process, coolant circuit, control via mold levels, creation of drawings, parts lists...

Moderators: remi77, jacs, Daniel

P3cho
Private
Private

[Solved] Creating a side insert

Unread post by P3cho »

First of all I would like to say hello to everyone. I'm a newbie on this forum and also newbie when it comes to working with TS Mold and thats why I need some help from you guys.
I have a problem with creating side inserts. The problem is, I have to modify both cavity blocks with one insert, and I haven't found a single example of that in tutorials. I'll show a 2D view of the problem and a description.....I would also be very happy if you guys can describe your approach to this problem and how to approach to the creation of side inserts. So something like step by step tutorial would be great.

As you can see I would like to modify both cavity blocks and create a side insert with back locks, angular pins etc...I have made the rough representation of finished insert in 2D.

As I can't find a solution to this problem alone every little bit of information helps.

Thank you in advance.

Regards
Attachments
2D cross section of a problem
2D cross section of a problem
Side insert.JPG (174.26 KiB) Viewed 5356 times
finished inert.JPG
finished inert.JPG (63.27 KiB) Viewed 6077 times
P3cho
Private
Private

Unread post by P3cho »

No one?!
I gave it some thought an thought of 2 solutions:

1.) I tried to make 2 side inserts on same contour (bottom block and top block) and then unite them. But there is a problem-I can't get rid of basic shape-and that causes trouble through whole design(runners, cooling, ejectors etc...). I tried with extracting the "base" shape, but for some reason it doesn't work. The block keeps reappearing. Any suggestions?

2.) I thought about another approach to the problem. I divided core/cavity blocks and then again unite Top and bottom into one block, and then trim by shape to bring it into the desired shape. But again I found myself in trouble because I couldn't hide base shape.

On both occasions I used : HIDE TOOL=YES and operation UNITE. Should I use LOCAL OPERATION or SHELL UNION OPERATION? The described problem doesn't appear in normal design mode, just when working with TS Mold. Any ideas why my approach to the problem isn't correct?

Thank you

Regards
P3cho
Bill
Master Chief
Master Chief
TopSolid Module: TopSolid'Design
TopSolid Version: 6.25

Unread post by Bill »

Hi there,

My first question to you would be this.

1) Are the cavities the same? Meaning is this a two cavity mold of the same part? If so, did you split them at the same time? or did you split one and then use the multi cavity function.

Either way, you have the same issue. The insert function only works with one part at a time today. So your method of creating an insert for each and then uniting them is a valid method. With this method you need to manually manage the visualization attributes of your tool shape. That said, prior to uniting the inserts, go to the "Management" icon bar and choose the function "Set Assignment". From there select "Remove" from the prompt line. Now select the insert that will be the tool shape. (the tool shape in this case is the second solid you will pick during the union operation). The act of removing with the set assignment function removes the solid from the Mold Assembly. This in turn will mean that no other component will automatically process through that insert for example. It also means that you will no longer see it listed in the mold visualization function, or in your BOM.

Another way to do this would be to create only the surface shells for each insert. Then doe some surfacing to get them to be one sewn surface. From there, extrude a solid and trim it by this surface model. In some cases...this is simpler yet.

I hope this info helps.
Happy Designing
Bill
Technical Director
Missler Software Inc