RUNNER SHAPE TRAPEZOIDAL TROUBLES

CAD solution for mold making: slider design, guide rails, jacks,
mold base, components and process, coolant circuit, control via mold levels, creation of drawings, parts lists...

Moderators: remi77, jacs, Daniel

Top'Noob
First Officer Cadet
First Officer Cadet

RUNNER SHAPE TRAPEZOIDAL TROUBLES

Unread post by Top'Noob »

Hi,

I was trying to create a trapezoidal runner on a "new contour" but TS wanted to smooth out the runner instead of following the contour I specified. :roll:

I ended up making several contours to achieve the straight line runner shapes I needed to create. I am trying to match an old design.

Is there some setting I need to adjust to make the runner shape follow the sharp corners of my contour ?

Making separate runner shapes highlighted 2 other problems.

1. There was difficulty in subtracting the runner shapes from the block because they overlapped. Why can't TS improve solids so that they can still subtract or unite even if 2 entities have overlapping faces ?

2. The runner shape dialog should be able to remember what I specified last for a runner. I had to keep typing in the same values over and over and over again for each segment of the runner shape. :x

Oh, and also while editing the values for the runner shape I can't use the TAB button to get to the next value. TAB takes me to another area of the dialog box.

It is stupid little mind-numbing details like this that keep TS from becoming a truly world-class software.
Bill
Master Chief
Master Chief
TopSolid Module: TopSolid'Design
TopSolid Version: 6.25

Unread post by Bill »

Hi there,

Are you using the automatic projection function within the runner function? This will allow you to create a runner on 3d faces. However, it seems that it works best on single segments, (as you say in your post). That said, if you place your single segment curve above all of the faces of the part, you will get the best results.

As for the improvement of solids. (your item 1). I too wish this was better. However today, it is not really the fault of TS. This function come from the Parasolid Engine. Trust me when I say that enhancement requests for this improvement have existed for a long time...but this improvement must come from Parasolid themselves.

for your item 2...I agree. It would be nice if that dialog remembered what you entered last. However, you already have this ability. All you need to do is enter the sizes you want one time. then create all of your other runners using the default values. Now, go to the modify element function, (the wrench icon), and select one of the runners that you want to modify. From the prompt line, select the Runner button. Now choose the Existing Button from the prompt line. Select your reference runner. Click Yes to update in the prompt line. You have now modified it to copy the values of your first runner. This should help you a bit.
Happy Designing
Bill
Technical Director
Missler Software Inc
Top'Noob
First Officer Cadet
First Officer Cadet

Hi Bill,

No, I do not believe I used any projection function. The runner shape I was making was totally flat.

Thanks for the helpful suggestion. I will try this next time !
jehronimo
Major
Major

Unread post by jehronimo »

Hi,

I asked to the French hot line why the geometry is wrong, and they said to me that a fix for this one will appear in a soon patch (maybe the v6.8.256??)..

I am waiting it to test it :wink:

Jehronimo
Top'Noob
First Officer Cadet
First Officer Cadet

Thanks Jehronimo !

That is also good to know 8)